MOXI seeks a Senior Exhibit Tech to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be the acting lead technician, supporting the daily repair, refurbishment, installation, and maintenance of exhibit and exhibit components. In addition to supporting routine exhibit work, the Senior Tech will oversee the Exhibit Tech team and is responsible for scheduling, supporting training and onboarding, and project delegation. The ideal candidate will be someone with strong communication and leadership skills, an ability to identify and troubleshoot problems, and track and manage exhibit project needs.
Report to: Associate Director of Exhibits (temp: Director of Learning Experiences)
- Manage team of Exhibit techs, including hiring, training, and scheduling.
- Work with the Associate Director of Exhibits to support exhibit project management and assigning individual responsibilities.
- Maintain exhibit tracking and maintenance databases (Smart Sheets, UpKeep, etc).
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning on interactive exhibit components, many of which contain mechanical, electrical, electronic or computer-controlled devices.
- Monitor the physical environment of the museum floor and exhibits to ensure that the exhibits are operating at a world class standard of functionality, cleanliness, and safety for MOXI guests.
- Monitor all museum exhibits and communicate with the museum staff on a continuous basis to identify promptly any damage, malfunctions, or wear in any and all exhibits.
- Assist in the daily organization, cleaning, and resetting of the of the maintenance shop.
- Adhere to existing maintenance practices and processes in a safe, productive, efficient, and high-quality manner.
- Support Associate Director of Exhibits in tracking exhibit budget and preparing weekly team project reports.
- Act as Manager on Duty on day a week.
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated skill in carefully performing routine maintenance tasks (cleaning, lubricating, testing functionality, documenting work completed, etc.) with proficiency in hand and powered tools, with a demonstrated willingness to learn how to safely use new tools.
- Conscientious and detail-oriented; must have an appreciation of the necessity of following through with paperwork, record-keeping, and documentation.
- Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, the structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt to emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Education and Experience requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience in sales and customer service
- Experience building and/or maintaining custom-designed objects and environments (museum exhibits, scenery and props for theater or television, musical instruments, model making, a/v and computer equipment, etc).
- This position is required to work onsite, Sunday-Thursday.
- This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule including holidays, evenings, and some early mornings.
- This is a full-time position expected to work onsite.
- Predictable and timely attendance is required.
- Position must be able to bend, squat, and lift p to 50 lbs; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solves; and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasons to apply
- Growth-centered work environment that includes developmental training.
- Playful social culture with opportunities to get to know your coworkers.
- Free admission into local museums including MOXI, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Lotusland, and Santa Barbara Zoo.
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals, and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Who we are
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a joyful place where we empower curious minds to explore the world.
Our values: We are Playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and embrace failure. We believe that diversity is critical to creativity.
How to apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and a resume.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance
- 2 weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid sick leave, and 13 paid holidays each year
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.