The Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara seeks an organized, outgoing individual to serve as a south county Program Advisor. Program Advisors are responsible for conducting outreach and advising activities as directed by the Chief Programs Officer. Based in Santa Barbara, the incumbent will implement the practices and policies regarding Student Programs as established by the Scholarship Foundation Board of Directors. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- Work with the Chief Programs Officer to follow Board philosophy and policies regarding student aid outreach and advising.
- Learn and remain current on all federal, state, institutional, and local financial aid issues, including programs, forms, processes, and initiatives. This includes but is not limited to FAFSA, Pell Grants, Stafford and Direct Loans, PLUS Loans, Cal Grants, Scholarshare, Santa Barbara County community groups, and all programs administered by the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara.
- Travel to school and community locations throughout Santa Barbara County and other locations as needed. Respond in a timely manner to inquiries by email, phone, or in-person regarding financial aid issues and the student aid outreach and advising program. Set up and attend day, night, and weekend events as needed.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with school and community contacts, such as counselors, principals, faculty, and administrative staff in the designated geographic areas. Under the direction of the Chief Programs Officer, make regular contact with key personnel as a Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara representative.
- Develop, schedule, design, and coordinate speaking events and presentations to schools and other community groups. Give dynamic and comprehensive presentations on the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara’s student aid programs, Santa Barbara Foundation student aid programs, and general financial aid programs. Conduct office counseling sessions as needed.
- Develop, schedule, design, and lead individualized Advising Days sessions for financial aid at high school and community sites. Conduct follow-up as needed.
- Coordinate the distribution of student aid applications and all supporting materials to appropriate locations. Coordinate the distribution of informational handouts regarding the Scholarship Foundation and financial aid in general.
- Maintain detailed records in both computer and hard-copy files of all outreach contacts and activities. Prepare reports as directed by the Chief Programs Officeer.
- Attend internal and external meetings as directed.
- As needed, participate in materials processing, data entry, and analysis of applications and supporting materials from January to June each year.
- Help to coordinate and train interview volunteers, and schedule as needed.
- Assist with any student program duties at any time, including filing, data entry, and special projects. Maintain accurate student records in computer and hard-copy files.
- Assist with Foundation events and mailings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Skills should include: excellence in public speaking, organization, planning/strategy, detailed record-keeping, report design, and executing program work that involves a high level of collaboration.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software applications.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment regarding organizational relationships and access to sensitive information.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Own a car and are legally able to drive the car.
- Able to lift and carry 30 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Bilingual/Biliterate preferred
For consideration, submit a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.