About the Position: Unite to Light is seeking a team member to help light the world. The ideal candidate would be entrepreneurial, detail oriented, excited to try new tasks and learn on the job, and have a passion for the mission. You will work directly with the CEO/President on every day tasks to run the organization, as well as development and communications. Half of the time in the role will be administrative: this position is responsible for shipping both US and international orders, managing inventory, as well as tracking donations and responding to inquiries. The other half of the time will be spent on development and communications. This includes logistics for our annual event, working with volunteers, and writing blogs and social media posts. The position will begin as a part time, hourly role; with the opportunity to grow in responsibilities, hours and salary.
Key Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
- Entrepreneurial. You would be joining one other paid staff member and a small army of volunteers. You would need to have the ability to work independently, build consensus across teams, contribute big ideas, and implement mundane day to day tasks. In many ways UTL runs more like a small business than a nonprofit organization, but everything we do is in service of the mission. You need to be flexible and passionate, but also have an eye for impact to drive results. With this, the more the organization grows, the more opportunity there is for this person.
- Flexible. With only two paid staff, you would have a chance to try anything and everything that needs to happen to make the organization successful: development, marketing, communications, sales, inventory, shipping and receiving, events… The right candidate would have an interest in trying new things and learning on the job. The position will change based on the strengths and skills of the individual and grow over time.
- Detail-Orientated. We ship tens of thousands of lights a year. Both in single units to a consumer in the US, and often in the hundreds or thousands to partners across the world. This position would need to help coordinate and manage sales, shipments and inventory. Attention to detail and organizational skills are vital to this position.
- Service-Minded. We have a variety of “customers” from distribution partners, to consumers, to sponsors, donors and buyers. We are looking for someone with customer service experience.
- Writing. Able to communicate effectively with written words. Written communication is crucial to our marketing, business development, fundraising, grant writing, social media, and outreach. The amount of writing will vary depending on the candidate but will be an important part of the job.
- Comfortable with Technology. Should be able to use common internet technologies and be willing to learn new technologies that will aid in the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. We primarily use Google Office Suite but have several other software technologies for shipping, website management, emailing, etc.
Time & Location Commitment: 10-20 hrs/week. Preferably in the Santa Barbara or Ventura regions. Shipping and receiving happen out of our Goleta warehouse so having a physical presence twice a week is required.
Compensation: $15-$20/hour based on experience
- Send resume and cover letter to:
Megan Birney, President & CEO
- Questions may be directed to the above email address or (805) 617-0619
- First round of resumes will be reviewed on June 6, 2022 but the position will be open until