The Molecular Systematics Technician 2 performs a wide range of activities supporting the ongoing work of the Biodiversity Program at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. This full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position, reports to the Conservation Geneticist.
Field work duties (ca. 20% time)
- Plant specimen collection;
- Field identification;
- Focused plant surveys;
- Data collection.
Research and office duties (ca. 40% time)
- Perform analyses in collaboration with Biodiversity Team Principal Investigators;
- Report and paper writing in collaboration with Biodiversity Team Principal Investigators;
- Prepare, database, and help maintain dried plant tissues for SBBG tissue bank;
- Coordinate with collectors to obtain necessary meta-data when accessions are made by SBBG collectors;
- Assist and manage volunteers and interns as needed in the genetics lab with Biodiversity Team Principal Investigators;
- Communicate with the public during tours and in presentations.
Laboratory duties (ca. 40% time)
- DNA extraction;
- DNA quantitation;
- Gel electrophoresis;
- High-throughput library preparations.
To apply, please click here: SANTA BARBARA BOTANIC GARDEN INC – Molecular Systematics Technician 2 (paylocity.com)