Title: Finance & Administration Associate
Department: Finance & Administration
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Music Academy is inviting applications for a detail-oriented and motivated Associate to join the Finance & Administration team. Primary responsibilities include managing accounts payable and accounts receivable, as well as providing other financial and administrative support. The ideal candidate has excellent attention-to-detail and strong customer service towards colleagues, vendors, and other constituents. Formal accounting experience is a plus but not required if you are eager to learn, extremely organized, and not daunted by numbers. An interest in music and our musicians is a plus!
• Serve as point person for vendors and staff to manage accounts payable cycle. Enter invoices, ensure appropriate account code and authorization, and process checks
• Reconcile company credit card statements
• Prepare year end 1099s and other state and federal reporting
• Prepare sales tax payments and file quarterly returns
• Post A/P batches to the general ledger
• Interact with clients and staff to manage accounts receivable cycle, from creating invoices to tracking payments received
• Record cash receipts, reconcile contributions with donor management software, prepare and record bank deposits
• Post A/R batches to the general ledger
• Maintain established AR procedures and seek out process improvements.
• Prepare journal entries for review and input into accounting system
• Assist in monthly fiscal close activities and distribute monthly financial reports to budget managers for review
• Assist in annual audit and quarterly budget planning
• Maintain established accounting procedures and seek out process improvements.
• Assist the department with phone coverage, mail processing, and other administrative tasks.
Other duties may be assigned.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Finance & Administration. It includes essential job functions which require on-site office attendance.
The Music Academy of the West values diverse colleagues who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success. This position is great for someone who has:
• Excellent attention to detail and ease with numbers.
• A passion for customer service and excellent communication skills
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Prior general accounting experience a plus, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, budget, or other
• Experience with accounting software applications, donor management, ticketing, or other payment platform software programs is a plus.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe, DocuSign, and Zoom
• Ability to work on a team collaboratively with minimal supervision and adapt to changing work priorities and schedules.
Benefits and Compensation:
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Compensation is in the range of $20-30 per hour, commensurate with skills and experience. Music Academy provides a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees, which includes health and dental coverage, life insurance, paid vacation and sick leave and a 403(b) plan.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume to email@example.com, using the Subject Header MAW Finance & Administration Associate. No phone calls, please. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment. All administration, faculty, and fellows on campus must provide proof of COVID vaccination.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. We aim to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
About Music Academy of the West:
Music Academy of the West creates a space where exceptional talent can thrive by encouraging artists to stretch, experiment, improvise, and play. We give artists the tools they need to become not just great musicians but great leaders. With the sun shining brightly on possibility and potential, we unleash the creators who will reimagine the future of classical music. We catalyze the change that will propel classically trained musicians boldly forward. For more information, visit musicacademy.org.