MOXI seeks an energetic, fun-forward Camps + Outreach Coordinator to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be the primary facilitator of MOXI camps and outreach programs. They will be responsible for implementing and supporting MOXI’s seasonal camp programs and off-site afterschool outreach series. Additionally, this position provides curriculum support, handles education material coordination, and models STEAM engagement techniques for a seasonal team of camp counselors and teen volunteers. The ideal candidate will have excellent teaching and learning skills, model MOXI behavior and mindset in interactions with visitors, staff, and volunteers, demonstrate a clear understanding of MOXI’s mission, and have a proven track record in both peer and program leadership.
Report to: Camps + Outreach Manager
- Acts as the lead educator for the afterschool program series. Supports curriculum implementation, staff training, and program evaluation.
- Provides curriculum support for Camps + Outreach Manager.
- Coordinates materials for camps and afterschool programs.
- Works with STEAM Education Manager to coordinate program schedules and request staff support for camps and afterschool programs.
- Acts as Lead Summer Camp Counselor (LSCC).
- Serves as lead facilitator in daily camp activities assigned by the Camps and Outreach Manager.
- Supervises camp counselors, junior camp counselors, and counselor-in-training volunteers
- Coordinates and leads rotating team of camp staff and volunteers and assigns duties as necessary
- Coordinates camp staff in organizing camp space, materials, and activities, as well as implementing 10 weeks of STEAM camp curriculum for youth ages 5 and up.
- Assumes responsibility for the safety and well-being of all campers enrolled in summer camps both on-site and off, which includes being the main point of communication for off-site lunch excursions.
- Helps to anticipate, identify, communicate, and resolve camp and camper-related issues.
- Engages as main point of communication for camp parents
- Builds and fosters a fun, safe, and inclusive camp environment for all staff and campers that supports creativity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
· Passion for informal education and demonstrated enthusiasm for connecting with local students and campers.
· Conscientious and detail-oriented; must have an appreciation of the necessity of following through with paperwork, record-keeping, and documentation.
· Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
· Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
· Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, the structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
· Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt to emerging technologies.
· Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
· Spanish fluency preferred.
Education and Experience requirements:
- 2+ years’ experience working with youth in formal and/or informal educational spaces, specifically for ages 5-12; prior camp counselor experience preferred.
- Experience working with individuals with special needs and behavioral issues preferred.
- Experience overseeing youth programs preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, or equivalent certification a plus.
· This is a full-time position expected to work on-site.
· Working hours: Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 5:00 PM, with periodic availability required on nights, weekends, or early mornings to support MOXI programs. Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM during summer camp from 5/22 to 8/23.
· Regular predictable attendance is required.
· Position must be able to bend, squat, and lift up to 50 lbs.; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solve; and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Employment background/criminal check is required.
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans
- Affordable dental and vision
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance
· 80 hours of paid vacation, 56 hours of paid sick leave
· 13 paid holidays each year
Reasons to apply
· Growth-centered work environment that includes developmental training.
· Playful social culture with opportunities to get to know your coworkers.
· Free admission into local museums including MOXI, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Lotusland, and Santa Barbara Zoo.
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals, and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Who we are
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a joyful place where we empower curious minds to explore the world.
Our values: We are Playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters– we take risks and embrace failure. We believe that diversity is critical to creativity.
How to apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and a resume.
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
Leave a Response