MOXI seeks an energetic, fun-forward camp counselor to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission to ignite learning through interactive experiences is science and creativity. The MOXI Camp Counselor is a seasonal position that assists the Camps and Outreach Manager in providing a one-week spring program and 10-week summer program for youth ages 5 – 12. The Camp Counselor facilitates playful hands-on STEAM learning programs that nurture creativity, curiosity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Employment dates: This is a temporary position that supports spring break and summer camps. Employment dates include:
· Wednesday, March 22 – Friday, March 31, 2023
· Tuesday, May 30 – Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Hours: General working hours are between 8:00 am – 5:30 pm Monday-Friday
Pay Rate: $18/hr.
Report to: Camps + Outreach Manager
The Camp Counselor (CC) assists the Camps and Outreach Manager and camp staff to deliver programmatic components of MOXI’s camp curriculum. The CC will support 1 week of spring camp with the theme of STEAM Explorer and 10 weeks of summer camp with themes including: Top Secret Spy, Super Messy Science, Wonder Construction, Storybook Engineering, Superhero Science, and MOXI Workbench. Specifically, the CC will:
- Support the Camps + Outreach Manager in organizing camp space, materials, and activities, and implementing STEAM camp curriculum for youth ages 5 and up.
- Act as assistant teacher for designated activities and games as assigned by Camps and Outreach Manager.
- Assume responsibility for the safety and well-being of all campers enrolled in camp both on site and off, including supervising campers for off-site lunch excursions.
- Help to anticipate, identify, communicate, and resolve camp and camper-related issues.
- Build and foster a fun, safe, and inclusive camp environment for all staff and campers that supports creativity, collaboration, and respect.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
· Responsible, playful, and friendly, with an enthusiasm for science, tinkering, exploring, and whimsy.
· Demonstrated experience working with children in a formal or informal setting; ability to maintain positive attitude
· Conscientious and detail-oriented; must have an appreciation of the necessity of following through with paperwork, record-keeping, and documentation.
· Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization.
· Excellent interpersonal skills: must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
· Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
· Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, the structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
· Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt to emerging technologies.
· Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
· Spanish fluency a plus.
Education and Experience requirements:
- Previous experience working with youth in formal and/or informal educational spaces, specifically ages 5-12.
- Previous experience with camps, youth engagement or other informal learning environment with youth is required.
- CPR, First Aid, or equivalent certification a plus.
· This is a full-time position expected to work onsite.
· Predictable and timely attendance is required.
· Position must be able to bend, squat, and lift up to 50 lbs.; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solve; communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasons to apply
· Growth-centered work environment that includes developmental training.
· Playful social culture with opportunities to get to know your coworkers.
· Free admission into local museums including MOXI, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Lotusland, and Santa Barbara Zoo.
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals, and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Who we are
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a joyful place where we empower curious minds to explore the world.
Our values: We are Playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters– we take risks and embrace failure. We believe that diversity is critical to creativity.
How to apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter.
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
Leave a Response