Associate Director of Philanthropy
Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County
Organization: Established in 2000, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County (Habitat Santa Barbara) is a local nonprofit committed to building strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We partner with low-income individuals and families in Southern Santa Barbara County to build or improve a place to call home. Homeowners build alongside volunteers and purchase their home, paying an affordable mortgage. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County has built 22 new homes for 84 people, 50% of which are children, led efforts to rebuild and repair 165 homes across Santa Barbara’s south county, and contributed to 300 new homes constructed internationally. Habitat Santa Barbara is an equal housing agency.
Team Culture: Habitat Santa Barbara is a small but mighty team that believes strongly in the mission of building and repairing homes, works closely together in a collaborative environment, believes in building capacity through the support and cultivation of talented volunteers, and believes no task is too big or too small – from producing a fundraising gala, to rolling up your sleeves at a messy construction site!
Habitat Santa Barbara seeks an Associate Director of Philanthropy to play a critical leadership role in our fundraising efforts to help advance our mission. The successful candidate must think and act strategically and will possess integrity, professionalism as a successful fundraiser, outstanding written / verbal communication skills, and have an understanding of best practices in this field. The ideal candidate is a person who thrives in a dynamic environment and wants to combine professional achievement with a passion for enriching the lives of others.
Reports to: Director, Philanthropy and External Affairs
- Leads planning and implementing the Annual Appeal campaigns.
- Working with the development team and CEO, develops and implements strategies to meet individual giving goal of $225,000 inclusive of annual appeal.
- Leads various campaign strategies: direct mail, monthly giving, and special events.
- Supports prospect research, assists with special projects, and supports social media initiatives.
- Working with board, committees, and staff, supports Capital Campaign fundraising goals.
- Manages donor relations: gift acknowledgment, pledge fulfillment and gift renewals, donor database, records and files.
- Maintains the high standards of professional fundraising including discretion and confidentiality.
● Plans and manages special event fundraisers, including donor cultivation events.
● Serves as staff liaison to Events Committees, including gala committee, board committees, and campaign committees.
● Maintains excellent records of expenses and revenue from all fundraising events.
●Develops budgets for events and maintains excellent records of expenses and revenue from all fundraising events, including follow up on pledges..
● Solicits sponsorships from local corporations and foundations.
Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Significant related experience may substitute for a higher degree.
● At least five to seven years of experience in fundraising, ideally in a nonprofit setting.
● Experience planning, implementing and staffing fundraising events or donor/volunteer stewardship events.
● Experience with soliciting major gifts of at least $50,000 as part of a team ask and $5,000 as part of an individual ask
● Experience developing and managing a broad array of professional relationships.
● Capital campaign experience a plus.
● Outstanding presentation and communication ability. Good oral communications skills, including both speaking on the phone and in-person.
● Ability to comfortably interact with diverse audiences including donors, Board members, and community groups.
● Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
● Strong collaborative skills: ability to work as part of a team.
● Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office and donor databases.
● Empathy, along with a passion for the cause of affordable housing.
● Willingness to support the mission and principles of Habitat for Humanity.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule to accommodate fundraising, volunteer, and external events and meetings, including nights and weekends as needed.
● High ethical standards, good judgment, diplomacy and tact.
Competitive salary DOE; Range is $70,000 – $80,000 annually
12 Paid Holidays, 5 Sick Days and 10 Paid vacation days;
Comprehensive Health Benefit Plan based on organization’s current health plan;
Flexible / Hybrid Work Environment (including a one-time $1,000 stipend for eligible reimbursable expenses for a home office);
Professional development stipend – $1,000;
In development for 2022 – employer-matched, vested retirement contribution program
Paid annual membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals, including membership in the local affiliate chapter.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 10% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Ability to lift 10 lbs.
Learn more about our Home Repair Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EigB9WYnxTI
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Other duties, as assigned or deemed necessary by management, may be required. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description does not constitute a contract for employment, nor does it in any way alter the at-will employment relationship. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer.
Leave a Response