The Wildling Museum of Art and Nature is located in Solvang and is dedicated to using art exhibitions and programs to inspire a love of nature. We have an active calendar of changing exhibitions and related programs, a unique gift shop and special events throughout the year. We are seeking an Assistant Director who will join our small but mighty team, supporting various aspects of our busy calendar. It is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. We work hard but laugh a lot along the way and have exciting new efforts underway that the right candidate will enjoy helping to bring to fruition.
- Exhibition and collections support: facilitate loans, shipping, insurance, etc. for various exhibitions. Helps with exhibit installations.
- Helps coordinate various educational programs/group tours
- Marketing: writing/distributing press releases, routine updates of museum website, social media updates (Facebook, Instagram primarily), tracking website statistics, tracking advertising schedule with media, working with occasional outside publicist for special events/occasions, produce twice a month email newsletters, works with Executive Director to write content for member newsletter and other communication pieces, tracks success of various marketing/communications efforts
- Is the primary graphic artist for printed and online media, event invitations, printed member newsletters etc.
- Represents museum on select community committees as appropriate
- Oversees recruitment, scheduling, training of volunteers
- Occasionally fills in at museum reception desk/store as necessary (as all staff may be called upon to do)
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Museum in the absence of the Executive Director.
- BA preferred but relevant experience taken into consideration
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Outstanding organizational and problem-solving skills paired with ability to prioritize in coordination with Executive Director
- Prior experience working in museums with collections, exhibitions and/or public programming preferred
- Good computer skills and knowledge of MS Office programs and Adobe products such as Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience in a donor management system a plus (Bloomerang ideal)
- High energy, multitasker with “can-do” attitude, flexible, teamwork-based, detail oriented, and self-motivated
- Prior experience updating websites
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs
- Must be comfortable on ladders (to adjust lighting, primarily)
Send resume and thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and any relevant experience you bring to the position to our Executive Director, Stacey Otte-Demangate, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.