- UCSB Arts & Lectures presents MSNBC political analyst and former Republican National Committee chair Michael Steele, The Political Scene According to Steele
- Elected Lt. Governor of Maryland in 2003, Michael Steele made history as the first African American elected to statewide office; and again with his subsequent chairmanship of the Republican National Committee in 2009
- Steele has appeared on Meet the Press, Face the Nation, HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher, and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show. In addition to his work in television, Steele co-hosted the daily radio program, Steele & Ungar on the POTUS Channel on SiriusXM and is the host of the podcast The Michael Steele Podcast
- Steele’s writings on law, business and politics have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, TheHill.com, thegrio.com, Politico.com, TheRoot.com, BET.com, Townhall.com, The Journal of International Security Affairs and Catholic University Law Review, among others
- This presentation is part of the 2021-2022 CREATING HOPE programming initiative
- Thursday, April 21st / 7:30 p.m. Pacific / Campbell Hall
- $20 – $35 : General Public / FREE for UCSB Students (Current student ID required)
- Health & Safety: Proof of full vaccination (including booster, when eligible) is required for all attendees. Visit https://artsandlectures.ucsb.edu/SeasonFAQs/ for updates and further details.
- Tickets/Info: (805) 893-3535, www.ArtsAndLectures.UCSB.edu
- This event includes an at-home viewing option (live stream only; no replay).
- Note new date: This event has been rescheduled from Thursday, November 4 to Thursday,
▶ ▶ ▶ Editors/Reviewers: Please include the full name of UCSB Arts & Lectures in all media coverage, including reviews.
UCSB Arts & Lectures presents MSNBC political analyst and former Republican National Committee chair Michael Steele on The Political Scene According to SteeleI, Thursday, April 21st at 7:30 p.m. Pacific at Campbell Hall. This presentation is part of the 2021-2022 CREATING HOPE programming initiative.
A witty, engaging and savvy political observer, Michael Steele is a self-described “Lincoln Republican” who brings his experience from a lifetime in politics to a wide-ranging discussion about the key political and cultural issues of the day. Steele will guide us through today’s fast-paced world of politics, transcending traditional political boundaries in order to dig deep and find real solutions.
ABOUT MICHAEL STEELE
“It has become essential to understand the why and how of one of the most volatile periods in America’s political history.” – Michael Steele
“Affable, funny, self-deprecating, and never anything less than his genuine self.” Esquire
When he was elected Lt. Governor of Maryland in 2003, Michael Steele made history as the first African American elected to statewide office; and again with his subsequent chairmanship of the Republican National Committee in 2009.
As chairman of the RNC, Michael Steele was charged with revitalizing the Republican Party. Under Steele’s leadership the RNC broke fundraising records (over $198 million raised during the 2010 Congressional cycle) and Republicans won 63 House seats, the biggest pickup since 1938. His commitment to grassroots organization and party building at the state and local levels produced 12 governorships and the greatest share of state legislative seats since 1928 (over 760 seats).
As Lt. Governor of Maryland, Steele’s priorities included reforming the state’s Minority Business Enterprise program, improving the quality of Maryland’s public education system (he championed the State’s historic Charter School law), expanding economic development in the state and fostering cooperation between government and faith-based organizations to help those in need.
Steele’s ability as a communicator and commentator has been showcased through his current role as a political analyst for MSNBC. He has appeared on Meet the Press, Face the Nation, HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher [watch>> https://youtu.be/bMb4vRxDQpY], and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show. In addition to his work in television, Mr. Steele co-hosted the daily radio program, Steele & Ungar on the POTUS Channel on SiriusXM and is the host of the podcast The Michael Steele Podcast.
Steele’s writings on law, business and politics have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, TheHill.com [watch>> https://youtu.be/oaDXI27q82c], thegrio.com, Politico.com, TheRoot.com, BET.com, Townhall.com, The Journal of International Security Affairs and Catholic University Law Review, among others.
He is the author of Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda, which is a call to arms for grassroots America and co-author of The Recovering Politician’s Twelve Step Program to Survive Crisis.
Born at Andrews Air Force Base in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Steele was raised in Washington, DC. Upon graduating Johns Hopkins University (‘81’), he entered the Order of St. Augustine where studied for the priesthood. He is a graduate of Georgetown Law Center (’91), an Aspen Institute Rodel Fellow in Public Leadership [watch>> https://youtu.be/skpiQtuV68w], a University of Chicago Institute of Politics Fellow and currently a Senior Fellow at Brown University’s Institute for International and Public Affairs.
See A&L’s full 2021-2022 lineup here
This is a moment that calls for Optimism, Resilience, Courage and Vision.
Santa Barbara needs Hope, and Arts & Lectures is uniquely positioned to respond.
A&L’s 2021-2022 CREATING HOPE programming initiative has already inspired our community with presentations by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, cellist Yo-Yo Ma, chef José Andrés and author Anne Lamott. We will continue to inspire, through shared experiences with thought leaders, creative problem solvers and arts visionaries who will guide us forward. CREATING HOPE programs strengthen human connection, promote emotional well-being, joy and compassion, and envision positive change. Learn more about the CREATING HOPE: https://artsandlectures.ucsb.edu/CreatingHope.aspx
ABOUT UCSB ARTS & LECTURES
Founded in 1959, UCSB Arts & Lectures (A&L) is the largest and most influential arts and lectures organization between Los Angeles and San Francisco. A&L annually presents more than a hundred public events, from critically acclaimed concerts and dance performances by world-renowned artists to talks by groundbreaking authors and film series at UCSB and Santa Barbara-area venues. With a mission to “educate, entertain and inspire,” A&L also oversees an outreach program that brings visiting artists and speakers into local classrooms and other venues for master classes, open rehearsals, discussions and more, serving K-12 students, college students and the general public.
Michael Steele is presented by UCSB Arts & Lectures.
The presentation is part of the 2021-2022 CREATING HOPE programming initiative.
$20 – $35 : General Public / FREE for UCSB Students (Current student ID required).
For tickets and more information, call UCSB Arts & Lectures at (805) 893-3535 or visit www.ArtsAndLectures.UCSB.edu.
Corporate Event Sponsor:
UCSB Arts & Lectures gratefully acknowledges our Community Partners the Natalie Orfalea Foundation & Lou Buglioli for their generous support of the 2021-2022 season.
Leave a Response