Friday, August 12 / 8:30 p.m. / County Courthouse / FREE
- A&L’s FREE Summer Cinema series continues with the Wes Anderson coming-of-age comedy drama Moonrise Kingdom. Hot Fun in the Summertime showcases seven films about summer fun, friendships and adventure
- Enjoy Friday nights under the stars in the fabulous Sunken Garden of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse
- Filmgoers may start setting up at noon on the day of the screening
- Please respect the lawn and your fellow filmgoers: blankets should be permeable (no plastic/nylon/tarps), and chairs must be low-backed and low to the ground. Park staff may remove plastic items that harm the lawn.
- Friday, August 12 / 8:30 p.m. / County Courthouse / FREE
- Info: (805) 893-3535, www.ArtsAndLectures.UCSB.edu
▶ ▶ ▶ Editors/Reviewers: Please include the full name of UCSB Arts & Lectures in all media coverage, including reviews.
“A gorgeously shot, ingeniously crafted, über-Andersonian bonbon that, even in its most irritatingly whimsical moments, remains an effective deliverer of cinematic pleasure.”
UCSB Arts & Lectures’ FREE Summer Cinema series Hot Fun in the Summertime continues with Wes Anderson’s coming-of-age comedy drama Moonrise Kingdom, on Friday, August 12th at the County Courthouse Sunken Garden at 8:30 p.m.
Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two 12-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing offshore – and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in every which way. The all-star cast features Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray and Frances McDormand among others, and introduces Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as Sam and Suzy, the boy and girl. (Wes Anderson, 2012, PG-13, 94 min.)
Filmgoers may start setting up at noon on the day of the screening. Please respect the lawn and your fellow filmgoers: blankets should be permeable (no plastic/nylon/tarps), and chairs must be low-backed and low to the ground. Park staff may remove plastic items that harm the lawn.
- Wes Anderson-inspired playlist curated by KCSB-FM 91.9 DJ Ted Coe
Make your own picnic blanket! Stop by The Crafter’s Library (9 E. Figueroa – just one block from the Courthouse in La Arcada, @The_Crafters_Library) for supplies to create your own #sbsummercinema picnic blanket perfect for the Sunken Garden Movie Series. No advanced reservation required, just pop in, and let the staff know you’d like to make a no-sew fleece blanket and they’ll get you set up.
Moonrise Kingdom trailer >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s
ABOUT UCSB ARTS & LECTURES
Founded in 1959, UCSB Arts & Lectures (A&L) is the largest and most influential arts and lectures organization between Los Angeles and San Francisco. A&L annually presents more than a hundred public events, from critically acclaimed concerts and dance performances by world-renowned artists to talks by groundbreaking authors and film series at UCSB and Santa Barbara-area venues. With a mission to “educate, entertain and inspire,” A&L also oversees an outreach program that brings visiting artists and speakers into local classrooms and other venues for master classes, open rehearsals, discussions and more, serving K-12 students, college students and the general public.
FREE event. First come first serve.
For tickets and more information, call UCSB Arts & Lectures at (805) 893-3535 or visit www.ArtsAndLectures.UCSB.edu.