Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County brings people together to build homes, communities and hope in partnership with those in need. Over the past 36 years, Habitat has built 72 homes and repaired over 160 more, building strength, stability, self-reliance and shelter throughout Ventura County.
Type: Full-time (40 hours per week), Non-exempt
Reports to: CEO
Work schedule: Monday – Friday with some Saturday requirements and rare evenings. Workdays may flex dependent upon build schedule
Compensation: Dependent on experience
Location: Administrative Office, (1850 Eastman Ave., Oxnard) and build sites in Ventura County
The goal of the Volunteer Program Coordinator role is to recruit new volunteers, retain existing volunteers and to inspire and encourage all volunteers and supporters to become more engaged with Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County.
The Volunteer Coordinator leads all community volunteer communication and planning to ensure volunteer groups and individuals are engaged and available to meet the needs of Habitat Ventura County, including construction, ReStore, office, and events.
Primary Responsibilities of this position include:
- Communicate regularly with Habitat Ventura staff to define requirements and lead fulfillment of volunteer needs.
- Continually outreach to individuals and groups to recruit for all Habitat Ventura County needs using a variety of methods (emails, phone calls, social media, volunteer fairs, faith relations, military, schools and universities, service organizations, and businesses).
- Send out regular communications with volunteers regarding upcoming volunteer opportunities, trainings, processes, and acknowledgements.
- Attend community outreach programs and volunteer fairs and the like to promote volunteer opportunities. Share the Habitat story to inspire and encourage participation and volunteering.
- Schedule groups and individuals interested in volunteering in construction and non-construction roles using internal and external scheduling calendars.
- Ensure that volunteer liability waivers are signed and filed.
- Manage community service volunteers from local jurisdictions
- Develop and maintain consistent orientation processes for individuals and groups
- Collect all necessary documentation prior to volunteering and ensure volunteers are prepared for their assignments and have adequate signup information.
- Develop best practices for maintaining and recognizing volunteers and improving the volunteer experience.
- Act as the “site host” for volunteers when needed. Ensure check-in process is completed accurately and efficiently, food and water are available as applicable, and participant and volunteer safety practices are strictly enforced.
- Respond to all individual or volunteer group inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Provide volunteers with documentation of service as requested
- Maintain volunteer job descriptions.
- Conduct regular volunteer satisfaction surveys and communicate results.
- Manage and keep track of volunteer information including volunteer lists, waivers, and hours, utilizing volunteer software.
Other duties as assigned
Required skills and qualifications:
- Commitment to serving low-income families and supporting the need for affordable housing.
- Contagious energy and enthusiastic personality.
- A self-starter who can take initiative and form relationships.
- Ability to manage differing personalities and ideas with positivity, poise, and flexibility.
- Strong organizational and planning skills. Detail oriented. Able to manage several activities simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Comfortable with public speaking. Possess the ability to communicate concepts and ideas clearly and effectively to staff and volunteers by phone, e-mail, and in-person.
- Ability to communicate volunteer recruitment programs to a variety of corporate, faith-based and community groups.
- Ability to instruct and motivate volunteers in an effective, patient, and supportive manner.
- Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook, customer relationship management systems, online programs, social media and other software applications relevant to the position.
- Ability to work early mornings, nights and weekends when needed. Work hours will vary.
- Valid CA Driver License with a clean driving record, current auto insurance and reliable transportation.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience preferred.
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly spend hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
- Regularly spend hours standing
- Must be physically able to visit work sites, which will require working in unconditioned or cold spaces and walking on uneven surfaces.
- Regularly use hands and fingers to handle, control or feel objects
- Regularly see details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- Regularly speak clearly so listeners can understand
- Regularly understand the speech of another person
- Lift 5-20 pounds
Send resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Volunteer Coordinator – your last name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis.
Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County is an equal opportunity employer.
Leave a Response