- Develop and implement individual care plan for each resident, based on assessment (Registered Nurse only) of resident’s needs and in cooperation with interdisciplinary team members.
- Explain procedures and treatments to residents to gain cooperation, understanding, and allay apprehension.
- Administer prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques.
- Observe resident, record significant conditions and reactions, and notify supervisor or physician immediately of any change in resident’s condition, including vital signs, sudden change in weight, unusual behavior or other significant incidents.
- Provide detailed and accurate documentation of resident care and nursing procedures in a timely manner.
- Prepare equipment and aid physician during treatment and examination of residents.
- Maintain awareness of comfort and safety needs of residents.
- Take vital signs and gather data to detect deviations from normal and assess (Registered Nurse only) condition of residents. License Vocational Nurses and Licensed Psychiatric Technicians report vital signs to Registered Nurse on duty or on-call for RN’s assessment,
- Respond to life saving situations based upon nursing standards policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Count narcotics and other controlled substances at shift change with incoming charge nurse.
- Maintain ongoing communication with interdisciplinary team members regarding daily events or special resident needs.
- Participate in department and facility quality improvement activities.
- Attend orientations, in-service training sessions and meetings as required.
- Direct activities of Certified Nurse Assistants and Nurse Aides to ensure resident care, staff relations, and efficient work flow throughout each scheduled shift.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES This job has no supervisory responsibilities. (This statement pertains to organizational supervision of staff regarding subordinates’ overall staff performance, hiring staff, and evaluating overall job performance.)
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Knowledge and experience working in the field of developmental disability preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to very sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to communicate effectively with residents, staff, and visitors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situation.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Possess and maintain a valid Licensed Vocational Nurse, Licensed Psychiatric Technician, Registered Nurse license, issued by the California Board of Registered Nurses.
Obtain CPR certification within 90 days of hire and maintain current CPR certification throughout term of employment.
Leave a Response