The Public Programs Manager plays a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position is responsible for developing, overseeing, and implementing MOXI’s Public programs and events, both in the museum and offsite. Specifically, the Public Programs Manager will enhance MOXI’s current public programs through community partnerships and support the development of new community and revenue generating programs.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in STEAM program development, experience in developing community partnerships and community programming, and demonstrated program management skills.
Report to: Associate Director of Education
- Develops and manages the museum’s public programs, including community outreach, Mellow MOXI and accessibility programs, birthday parties, adult 21+ programs, and family STEAM parties, including ongoing evaluation of program success.
- Works closely with Floor Supervisor to support staffing and training for public programs.
- Collaborates cross-departmentally to support MOXI programs and events, providing program perspective for Development, Membership, and Exhibit teams.
- Collaborates with Education team members to implement innovative strategies for learning and program development, as well as methods for evaluating informal learning outcomes for staff, volunteers, and MOXI guests.
- Manages community volunteers supporting public programs.
- Acts as a rotating Manager on Duty (MOD) and collaborates closely with other members of management to ensure readiness for handling building evacuations, guest injuries, and other potential emergency situations.
- Supports other education programs as needs evolve.
- Manages the Learning Programs budget and expenses, supporting revenue goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
- Proven understanding of informal educational practices and STEAM learning.
- Demonstrated experience in community partnership building and community programming/events.
- Excellent project management skills: Ability to oversee multiple projects across varying departments and timelines; meet the demands of multiple projects and partners, delegating tasks as needed.
- Conscientious and detail-oriented; must have an appreciation of the necessity of following through with paperwork, record-keeping, and documentation.
- Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, the structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt to emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Education and Experience requirements:
- 3+ years’ experience of program development, ideally in an informal education setting with students of a wide range of ages.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or related field’ or 3+ years’ experience in informal STEAM learning.
- This is a full-time position expected to work onsite.
- This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule of both weekdays and weekends, holidays, evenings, and some early mornings with a minimum of one weekend day schedule on site.
- Predictable and timely attendance is required.
- Position must be able to bend, squat, and lift p to 50 lbs; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solves; and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasons to apply
- Growth-centered work environment that includes developmental training.
- Playful social culture with opportunities to get to know your coworkers.
- Free admission into local museums including MOXI, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Lotusland, and Santa Barbara Zoo.
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals, and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Who we are
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a joyful place where we empower curious minds to explore the world.
Our values: We are Playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and embrace failure. We believe that diversity is critical to creativity.
How to apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and a resume.
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans
- Affordable dental and vision
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance
- 2 weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid sick leave, and 13 paid holidays each year
- 4 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- Program Development informal education: 3 years (Preferred)