Ventura Land Trust (VLT) is a local, private, non-profit land trust working to protect the land, water, wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Ventura region for current and future generations. The organization strives to create a fun, inspiring, and team-oriented work environment with flexible work hours.
In partnership with the Development Team, the Outreach Coordinator will implement key marketing initiatives, design and distribute supporter correspondence, plan and execute key events, and help promote Ventura Land Trust’s mission and programs. The Outreach Coordinator will ensure consistency of Ventura Land Trust’s brand and stakeholder experience throughout all print, digital, and in-person opportunities. The Outreach Coordinator supports the Development Director in managing marketing efforts, increasing the donor prospect pipeline, and building community relationships. This position will manage the Community Relations Assistant role.
Marketing and Media
- Develop content strategy across channels for original content to support VLT
- Maintain a content marketing calendar that schedules all aspects of the creation and delivery of content
throughout the year
- Manage Community Relations Assistant on content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to generate leads and increase followers and website traffic
- Create and conduct marketing campaigns for special events and fundraising; this includes at least two large events per year (Wild and Scenic Film Festival and Used Outdoor Gear Garage Sale)
- Monitor content performance and report on content analysis, metrics, and KPIs
- Create and implement branding and style guide for VLT’s outreach efforts
- Create and maintain print and digital marketing and promotional materials, including VLT’s biannual Outlook publication, VLT brochures, collateral material, infographics, blog posts
- Prepare and distribute press releases, op-eds, and other printed materials
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on quarterly op-eds for publication in the Ventura Star and other media outlets
- Manage all media opportunities including interview requests, hosting news outlets, and overseeing
contracted and volunteer photographers and videographers
- Cultivate and steward media contacts
- Oversee and implement internal photography and video production
- Support the updates of VLT website as needed
Event Planning and Execution
- Serve as staff lead to plan and execute VLT’s key events including the Wild & Scenic Film Festival, Gear
Sale, Environmental Speaker Series, and Supporter Spotlight
- Create detailed event plans, including volunteer needs and job descriptions for volunteers; coordinate with Community Relations Assistant to recruit volunteers
- In partnership with the Bilingual Outreach Coordinator, act as a liaison between our organization and the community, fostering positive relationships
- Identify and engage with diverse communities, organizations, and stakeholders; demonstrate cultural sensitivity and awareness when working with diverse communities
- Maintain accurate records of donors, vendors, volunteers, and contributions in the organization’s database. Collect w9s, certificates of insurance, and other documents from partners and vendors
- Develop accurate budget estimates and facilitate contracts and payments in a timely manner
- Hire, negotiate with, and direct appropriate vendors and event venues
- Help identify in-kind partners and assist with securing in-kind donations
- Complete post-event work, including coding of attendees into database, compiling post-event reports for
analysis, and creation and distribution of guest, volunteer, and attendee surveys
- Use data to inform decision-making and program improvements
- Ensure that sponsor recognition is properly provided at events and within marketing materials
- Oversee updates to VLT’s online calendar with upcoming events
- Develop an annual calendar of community, cultivation, and special events and ensure communication across departments is effective and timely.
- Utilize CRM & event management tools to create ticketing page, send emails, set up event registration, track and record attendee info and run reports
- Communicate event details with guests via phone and e-mail prior to and after the event. Serve as point of contact for invitee/guest list inquiries from various communication channels
- Manage event registrants including preparation of accurate lists, nametags, meeting materials, signs, and other collateral that organizes guests’ attendance at an event
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share VLT’s mission and programs with the community as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism, hospitality or related field.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of work experience in public relations, communications, event planning or equivalent combination of training and work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, creativity, organization, and attention to detail; efficient email management
- Strong relationship-building skills and ability to serve as an external-facing ambassador.
- Ability to self-start, set and meet deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, coordinate, work both independently and collaboratively, and have a great sense of urgency
- Proficiency with social media metrics and online review tools
- Demonstrated skills in InDesign, Canva, PowerPoint; experience in Adobe Illustrator is a plus
- Familiarity in basic video production, including camerawork and editing
- Experience in staff supervision or direct management
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; knowledge of CRM systems (Salesforce) and project management systems (Monday.com) a plus
- Ability to understand and bring diversity and inclusion into their work is a priority.
- Flexible, team player
- Science communication background is a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required
Compensation & Benefits
- Hourly compensation is $25-27/hour commensurate with experience and other qualifications
- The Outreach Coordinator qualifies as a full-time/non-exempt employee
- Eligible for paid holidays, vacation, sick time, bereavement leave, and jury duty
- Hybrid work environment with flexible hours
- Medical coverage
- Employee-contributed 401(k) retirement savings program
- Dog-friendly office
At this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you’re reading. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We believe that all people are capable of great things, so we may consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
To be considered for this position, please email your resume, cover letter, and a sample of produced event assets or marketing campaign to email@example.com with “Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for this position until the role is filled.
For more information, please visit our website: venturalandtrust.org/careers