Ventura Land Trust is a local, private, non-profit land trust working to protect the land, water, wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Ventura region for current and future generations. The organization strives to create a fun, inspiring, and team-oriented work environment with flexible work hours.
The Administrative Manager reports to the Deputy Director and works in partnership with the Accounting Manager and Education Manager. Responsibilities include administrative, bookkeeping, and human resources tasks, with other key operational tasks as needed. The ideal candidate will be competent in prioritizing and working with little supervision. They will be self-motivated and work with a high level of discretion. The Administrative Manager ensures the smooth running of VLT’s offices and contributes in furthering our mission.
- Manage the main offices of Ventura Land Trust. This will include managing mail pick-up and processing, maintaining the organization of the offices, coordinating with staff on office supplies, and communicating with the landlord.
- Manage general phone calls and correspondence (e-mail, letters). This will also include processing deliveries.
- Lead accounts payable processes, including the receipt and entry of invoices and issuing a weekly check run.
- Manage organization’s business credit cards through the collection and recording of receipts in QuickBooks.
- Support the recording of daily financial transactions to facilitate the processing of physical checks and direct deposits. May occasionally be responsible for doing bank runs and tracking petty cash.
- Cross-train with the accounting manager to facilitate key accounting tasks in their
absence or during periods of high volume.
- Coordinate with the Education Manager to manage participant registration processes for all educational programs, including creating session rosters and maintaining liability waivers for all active participants.
- Lead financial processes for educational programs, including running payment plans, tracking charter funds, and issuing invoices to partner schools.
- Lead the recruitment process. Manage job postings and track applicants. Coordinate scheduling of interviews where applicable. Manage offer letters. Support onboarding and training of new employees in partnership with the hiring manager.
- Administer employee benefits as part of the onboarding process and coordinate with the Deputy Director to maintain this service for all staff annually.
- Maintain records of state-mandated training and certifications, ensuring that new and current staff remain up to date.
- Prepare employee census information for insurance compliance reports. Partner with the Deputy Director on additional insurance-related tasks.
- Maintain records to facilitate qualified exemptions for property tax on all organization properties.
- Assist the Deputy Director with Land Trust Accreditation, primarily through recordkeeping and tracking of outstanding tasks.
- Coordinate with IT service providers to meet and maintain the technology needs of the organization.
- Facilitate merchandise processes by tracking inventory, purchasing replacement materials, and coordinating with relevant staff on physical and online selling.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with administration or office management.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with QuickBooks accounting software
- Human Resources experience a plus
- Ability to sit or stand at a desk for 8 hours
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds on occasion; ability to lift up to 10 pounds overhead on occasion
- Ability to walk up one flight of stairs to the VLT office
Hourly compensation ranges from $27-$30, commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Budgeted hours are 40 hours per week. Administrative Manager qualifies as a full-time hourly/non-exempt employee and is eligible for full-time holiday, vacation, and sick time.
At this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you’re reading. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We believe that all people are capable of great things, so we may consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
To be considered for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Administrative Manager” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for this position until the role is filled.
For more information, please visit our website: venturalandtrust.org/careers