MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a culture where work and play need not be mutually exclusive. We are playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and we embrace failure. We believe diversity is critical to creativity. We are MOXI. For more information, visit moxi.org.
MOXI seeks a membership manager to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be responsible for overseeing the success of the museum’s membership programs including managing the annual membership budget, developing member acquisition campaigns, renewal and upgrade strategies, membership administration (member correspondence, data entry in the museum’s database, membership sales), planning for special Members-only events, and serving as an integral member of the Development team.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, outgoing, and detail-oriented person that is highly organized, provides excellent customer service, and able to work independently.
- Represents Membership program on behalf of MOXI onsite and at events, including exhibit openings, museum programs, and members-only events.
- Oversees significant annual budget including monitoring progress towards revenue and expenditure goals and providing monthly variance reports.
- In collaboration with Marketing & Communications team, develops and implements acquisition, renewal, upgrade and retention strategies employing integrated onsite, mail, on-line, telephone and social campaigns. Generates reports to measure results of specific membership campaigns, along with membership retention and growth.
- Partners with MOXI’s Guest Services team to fulfill membership sales. Manages member and guest requests, complaints, and questions in a positive, helpful manner.
- With support from the Learning Experiences team, plans and executes Members-only events and programs.
- Ensures membership cards, both digital and print, are processed in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with Development team to identify and upgrade Members to higher levels of membership (Innovator Circles of Giving) and increase annual giving participation, work with MOXI staff to ensure member and Innovator Circles of Giving benefits are delivered upon, and support development events for VIPs and Innovator Circles of Giving members.
- Develops, promotes, and documents best practices and policies associated with member management. Maintains security, accuracy, and integrity of database.
- Periodically reviews effectiveness of membership program, benefits, and policies, relating to retention and acquisition of members. Recommends, designs, and implements any required changes to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Keen attention to detail and ability to think holistically and strategically about approaches to work.
- Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communication; must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt with emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Previous Experience Required
- A minimum of 3 years of directly related experience in a museum or similar setting.
- Experience with Altru and Cuseum preferred.
· High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
This position requires the ability to:
· Applicant must be able to bend, squat, lift push/pull up to 20 lbs.
· Be able to stand for extended periods of time.
· Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day a week operation, with periodic early morning and evening programs; this position requires working at least one weekend day and most holidays.
· Regular predictable attendance is required.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Employment background/criminal check is required.
This position is full-time, exempt with an hourly rate of $24- $27 .
Benefits include paid time off, health insurance, vision, dental, disability, life insurance, FSA and retirement plan offering.
How to Apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.