Department: Learning Experiences
Reports To: Associate Director of Education
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Rate: $22/hr (32 hrs/week – Sunday-Thursday)
MOXI seeks a full-time (32 hrs/week) creative and innovative Maker Education Specialist to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be responsible for inspiring and engaging guests in MOXI’s makerspace, the Innovation Workshop. The Maker Education Specialist will oversee all aspects of the makerspace including curriculum development, staff training, program implementation, and material management. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and collaborative educator with a background in the maker movement, inquiry-based learning, design thinking, and a passion for hands-on science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM) learning.
Report to: Floor Staff Supervisor
- Responsible for overseeing MOXI’s Innovation Workshop, including program development and implementation, staff training, material management, and monthly themes.
- Develop programming and curriculum aligned with MOXI’s play-based STEAM-learning educational objectives.
- Serve as lead facilitator in the Innovation Workshop, supporting staff training + implementation, including equipment and tool usage (laser cutter, ED printers, soldering irons, etc)
- Collaborate with the Education Programs Team, providing insights into incorporating innovation, design thinking, and making across MOXI programs.
- Work cross-departmentally to support special projects for internal programs and events, managing deadlines and materials.
- Maintain knowledge and awareness in maker education to follow trends, technologies, and best practices to maintain a cutting-edge makerspace experience for MOXI visitors.
- Maintain and build community partnerships to support projects and programs
- Organize, curate, and maintain the Innovation Workshop space and materials, incorporating sustainable practices + upcycling when possible.
- Oversee program and tool safety, assessing safety training and protocols as needed
- Standardize workflows and train staff in best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent guest engagement skills; friendly, engaging, receptive problem solver.
- Passion for play-driven STEAM learning and informal education; Experience working with children/youth/families of diverse backgrounds.
- Personal experience with tool-based making processes as well as diverse materials (wood, cardboard, paper mache, fabric, etc); A background in craftwork, technology, arts or similar is preferred.
- Experience with makerspace and design thinking in the K-12 environment
- Experience in STEAM maker curriculum design or similar (coding, robotic, etc)
- Proficiency in safely handling tools and equipment
- Conscientious and detail-oriented; must have an appreciation of the necessity of following through with paperwork, record-keeping, and documentation.
Education and Experience requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to STEAM education, innovation, and making; or equivalent relevant experience.
- 2+ years in maker education
- 2+ years of teaching experience preferred
- This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule of both weekdays and weekends, holidays, evenings, and some early mornings with a minimum of one weekend day schedule on site.
- Predictable and timely attendance is required.
- Position must be able to bend, squat, and lift p to 50 lbs; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solves; and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasons to apply
- Growth-centered work environment that includes developmental training.
- Playful social culture with opportunities to get to know your coworkers.
- Free admission into local museums including MOXI, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Lotusland, and Santa Barbara Zoo.
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals, and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
Who we are
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a joyful place where we empower curious minds to explore the world.
Our values: We are Playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and embrace failure. We believe that diversity is critical to creativity.
How to apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and a resume.
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
Leave a Response