HALF-TIME IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY
ABOUT THE ILDC
The Immigrant Legal Defense Center’s (ILDC) mission is to provide equal access to justice and due process to indigent immigrants residing in the Tri County area by providing pro bono legal representation in deportation proceedings and informing immigrants on their basic civil rights. We are a California public benefit nonprofit corporation with 501(c)(3) status. To find out more about the ILDC and our services please visit our website at: sbimmigrantdefense.org.
ILDC seeks a half-time attorney to provide legal services to unaccompanied migrant children facing removal proceedings through zealous direct representation. Please note that this is a one-year position with the possibility of extension. ILDC supports remote work to allow for work-life balance. However, initial consultations and client meetings need to be conducted at an ILDC office. This position is based in our Santa Barbara office and reports directly to the ILDC’s executive director.
- Representing non-detained individuals in removal proceedings before the Los Angeles immigration courts.
- Perform direct legal representation to ILDC clients. Ordinary function of legal counsel includes legal research and formulating the legal strategy for the case; conducting client interviews; appearing before the USCIS and EOIR in cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), Voluntary Departure, U visas, and representation in California state courts to obtain orders necessary for SIJS; and drafting and filing court pleadings and applications for benefits.
- Contribute to overall office functioning, including actively participating in office meetings or ILDC coalition meetings related to unaccompanied migrant children advocacy, and assisting with office events.
- Ensure entry of timely, accurate, and detailed case data into ILDC’s case management systems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- J.D. and active bar admission (California state bar required).
- Driver’s License
- Advanced fluency in Spanish language required.
- At least one year of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, and/or working with vulnerable populations, survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- Possess some family law knowledge is a plus but not required.
- Experience working with law firm attorneys and/or other legal volunteers.
- Strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing.
- Capacity to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to frequently changing circumstances, policies, and conditions affecting this dynamic
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to work within an office environment, have regular interactions via telephone, video, and email with partners and
- Ability to travel long distances for hearings at the Los Angeles Immigration Courts and state court hearings in Santa Barbara County, Ventura County, and San Luis Obispo County.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Include “Half-time Attorney-Immigration” in the subject line. Please email application materials directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The ILDC is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
TERMS: This is an exempt employee position for one-year with the possibility of extension for a half-time attorney. Benefits include 12 days of vacation, 10 holidays, and one week winter break. Salary is commensurate with experience and within the range of similar non-profit organizations.
Leave a Response