Construction Project Manager, Repairs & New Construction Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County
Established in 2000, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is a local nonprofit committed to building strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We partner with low-income individuals and families in-need, to build or improve a place to call home. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County has built 22 new homes for 84 people, 50% of which are children, as well as helped rebuild and repair more than 170 homes. www.sbhabitat.org
The Construction Project Manager reports to the CEO and is a critical, cross-functional leader who oversees repair projects as a part of Habitat’s Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative as well as oversees and project manages initiatives that fall under the New Housing Development Program. Core responsibilities include: construction related contract oversight, safety and compliance, execution of Habitat home repair programs, oversight of deliverables from licensed contractors and subcontractors, and more, ensuring that scopes of work are clear and that projects are completed on time and within budget. Additional job functions: building and implementing plans related to home repairs, community improvement projects, housing re-habilitation projects, outreach to construction trade professionals and community partners, working with community members in-need of home repairs, managing contracts related to government funding, and more. Licensed General Contractor Desired.
Core job duties: Home Repair Program
- ● Develops systems and implements programs to execute home repairs, work with volunteers, eligible homeowners, licensed contractors, construction tradespersons, and government partners.
- ● Review and approve home repair applicants in accordance with company policies.
- ● Ensures program compliance related to safety, sub-contractors, OSHA, including serving as the designated
“Competent Person” safety leader for the local organization.
- ● Develops documented strategies to prioritize projects, track progress, communicate outcomes, in compliance
with approved policies. Ensures that project schedules, budgets, and household demographics are tracked in an
organized way so that data can be analyzed and shared externally.
- ● Identify, organize, and procure materials and supplies required for home repair projects.
- ● Works with volunteers and donors; when relevant, supervises volunteers on-site at community projects.
- ● Provides project reporting to funders, community, and government partners.
New Construction / Housing Development
- ● Leads Building and Construction Committee, a volunteer leadership committee designed to provide expertise and guidance related to mission delivery.
- ● Partners with fundraising and volunteer team members to provide volunteer workdays and corporate partnerships to support new housing projects.
- ● Develop process for the selection of request for proposals and request for qualifications for various licensed construction professionals and associations.
- ● Provide oversight of licensed general contractor partnership related to meeting benchmark building goals and spending goals for new housing development.
- ● Manage proper expenditure of grants, government contracts, and more; regularly reconcile expenses and update budget in partnership with with internal finance department.
- ● Coordinate with fundraising team on capital fundraising initiatives in support of housing development philanthropy goals.
- ● Partner with development and volunteer team to provide reporting to community members as well as funders.
- ● Facilitation of in-kind product donations and compliance with construction standards of Habitat for Humanity
International (training provided).
What we’re looking for:
- ● Passionate about the Habitat mission, including affordable housing and supporting underserved communities.
- ● Experienced working in construction trades, familiarity with local building laws, and experienced in project
- ● Well-organized, flexible, and enjoys the challenges of having a wide variety of responsibilities.
- ● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- ● Ability to create and manage project budgets including experience with excel and Neighborly.
- ● Takes initiative, multi-tasks, and works well under pressure.
- ● Demonstrated ability to work independently with little or no supervision at times.
- ● Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- ● Bilingual Spanish/English preferred but not required.
- ● Licensed General Contractor Preferred.
- ● Minimum of ten years working in an administrative project management capacity in the friend of construction in
the State of California.
- ● Familiarity with building codes, safety regulations, and permitting requirements in City of Santa Barbara and
State of California.
- ● Skilled in Microsoft Excel and Office Suite, database management, and experience with project management
- ● Some College or higher preferred.
- ● Valid CA Driver’s License. Good driving record required. Use of company vehicles on work sites.
- ● Availability on evenings and weekends as needed.
- ● The ability to transport heavy objects, sometimes 40-50 lbs at a height of 3-4ft to support construction job sites.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Other duties, as assigned or deemed necessary by management, may be required. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description does not constitute a contract for employment, nor does it in any way alter the at will employment relationship. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination.
To learn more about our home repair program: https://youtu.be/EigB9WYnxTI