Director of Development, Social Sciences
UC Santa Barbara
Summary of Job Duties
This University Major Gifts Officer serves as the Director of Development (“Director”) in the Division of Social Sciences in the College of Letters and Science. S/he works to optimize philanthropic support for the Division in response to priorities established by the Social Sciences Dean. As a member of the Development Office staff, the Director will focus primarily on this division with the remaining time to serve the campus overall, including special projects, interdisciplinary initiatives and other University initiatives, as appropriate. The position assists the Assistant Dean of Development and other Director(s) of Development in the Social Sciences on strategies and activities to maximize donor support, with an emphasis on global, feminist and ethnic studies departments within the Division, and others as identified by the Dean. The Director focuses about eighty percent time on major gift fundraising activities ($100,000+ level). Twenty percent is focused on other activities related to fund raising, which may include some lower level gift solicitations ($10,000+) and pipeline-building (annual fundraising for Dean’s Special Projects) for new and/or nascent development programs, and administrative duties such as planning, coordinating and executing aspects of the Social Sciences development program. With regard to major gift fund raising, the Director is responsible for designing and executing planned strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, closing and stewardship of gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. The Director works personally with donor prospects and supports the Dean, faculty and volunteers in prospect relationships, in order to maximize philanthropic support for the Division, interdisciplinary initiatives, and the university overall to meet identified fundraising priorities. The Director works to ensure that all aspects of his/her development work is internally consistent, thematically related, and thoroughly coordinated within the Social Sciences Development Program and compatible with the policies and priorities of the Development Office and University. Routinely attends Development Office training and strategy meetings.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory conviction history background check
- This is an annually renewable contract position
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
- Ability to work some weekends and evening
- UCSB is a Tobacco-Free environment
- Eligible for hybrid scheduling, working on campus and remotely
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrated track record of managing a portfolio of high-net-worth individuals, soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Record of setting and meeting ambitious growth goals to expand an organization’s supporters and increase revenue.
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to relate to and communicate with a wide array of constituents.
- Ability to assess and understand donor needs and communicate the importance of division and donor partnership in achieving the mission of the Social Sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with donors, volunteers and diverse staff.
- Ability to work collaboratively and courteously with colleagues, partners and the public.
- Ability to work independently, balance priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational skills and judgment necessary to manage multiple priorities and long-term projects.
- Ability to analyze data and develop strategic approaches.
- Ability to establish and balance priorities, manage workload and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and donor/customer relationship databases in order to search for new possible donors to the University.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Five to ten years of experience in individual major donor development or related profession.
- Proven success in the major gift fundraising; experience in higher education preferred.
- With University specific training and support, ability to articulate specific fundraising needs and goals with clarity and passion.
- A general understanding of planned giving.
- Creative and innovative thinker.
- Team player with the ability to work independently.
- Sensitivity to long-term relationship building and stewardship with donors and potential donors.
- Master’s Degree preferred
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To view detailed job description and apply online, please visit: Director of Development, Social Sciences.
Home | UC Santa Barbara | Jobs (ucsb.edu) Job# 37049
Leave a Response