Director of Development, Math, Life and Physical Sciences

Mid Santa Barbara County
Santa Barbara
Full Time
UCSB Development

Director of Development, Math, Life and Physical Sciences
UCSB Development

Summary of Job Details

This University Major Gifts Officer serves as the Director of Development (“Director”) for the Sciences (Math, Life and Physical Sciences in the College of Letters and Science) and other collaborative fund-raising initiatives. Works to optimize philanthropic support for key fund-raising initiatives, in response to academic priorities established by the Dean of the Sciences (“Dean”) and select affiliated program directors. As a member of the Development Office staff, fund-raising efforts are devoted primarily to engineering and science initiatives (90%), with the remaining time (10%) to other University initiatives, as appropriate. Focuses approximately seventy percent time on fund-raising activities to identify cultivate and close gifts in the $25,000 – $1M+ range with a major focus on identifying new prospects for identified funding priorities. Focuses thirty percent on other activities related to fund raising and administrative duties such as coordinating and executing aspects of the Sciences development program. Coordinates and executes planned strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, closing and stewardship of gifts from individuals (alumni parents and friends), corporations and foundations primarily located throughout California. Works personally with donor prospects and supports the Deans, faculty and volunteers in prospect relationships when appropriate, in order to maximize philanthropic support for the Sciences and UC Santa Barbara, raising gifts to meet identified fundraising priorities. Director works to ensure that all aspects of his/her development program are internally consistent, thematically related, and compatible with the policies and priorities of the relevant Academic units, Development Office and University. Travels to key regions such as the Bay Area and Southern California at a minimum of 25 days per year.

Required Qualifications

  • Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
  • 4-6 years of major gift experience, raising five-, six- and seven-figure gifts.
  • Ability to articulate the case for higher education, and UCSB’s sciences programs.
  • Effective verbal communication skills to make persuasive oral presentations to colleagues, internal and external constituencies, and to plan and conduct participatory meetings, to gain acceptance of decisions, and to advise and collaborate with others.
  • Demonstrated skill at gift negotiation and gift solicitation to engage complex and sophisticated individual, corporate, and foundation donors toward significant philanthropic outcomes.

Special Conditions of Employment

  • Must have the flexibility and willingness to travel
  • May be called upon to work occasional evenings and weekends at various   Development Office, Institutional Advancement or campus-wide events.

Budgeted Salary Range: $101,100 – $117,000 /year.

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To review detailed job description and apply online, please visit:, Job # 68848.


Director of Development, Math, Life & Physical Sciences

Leave a Response

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top