The Fund for Santa Barbara (est. 1980) is a non-traditional community foundation that supports organizations and groups working for progressive social change in Santa Barbara County. The FUND is dedicated to helping find solutions to current and emerging social problems and issues that challenge our society as a whole. We understand that social conditions improve most dramatically when those who have been denied power and justice lead on their own behalf to confront, challenge, and change the conditions that have denied them access to justice and equity.
The Development Associate will provide strong development support to the Development and Communications Manager and Executive Director, coordination of development related events, and development administration. This individual will have the following qualities:
- A strong commitment to the mission and philosophy of the Fund for Santa Barbara
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Action oriented and problem solving disposition
- Previous development / fundraising experience in the nonprofit sector (strongly desired)
- Detailed administrative experience in a complex, fast-paced office environment
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and thrive in a highly social environment
- Strong project management and prioritization skills and the ability to set and achieve realistic goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to effectively engage with donors
- Experience recruiting, supervising and working with volunteers and/or diverse populations
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others
- Detailed knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of office suite software, such as: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong computing skills in utilizing one or more database programs, and social media tools
- Valid driver’s license, car insurance, a reliable car, and mobile phone
Donor Development: (30%) –
- Provide support to the Executive Director and Development and Communications Manager in donor development and cultivation activities, including external communications and supporting meetings of the Board and Fund Development & Communications Committee.
- Support fundraising efforts through production of reports and donor communications/outreach packets
- Conduct prospect research and analysis for outreach strategy
- Cultivate best practices for an organization-wide fundraising culture
Donor Administration 30%
- Oversees and administers the integrity of the database, including maintenance and development of a comprehensive donor/donation tracking system, providing reports and segmentations to Development and Communications Manager and executive Director as needed.
- Track all donations in donor database and generate acknowledgement letters for all contributions
- Coordination of annual direct mail solicitations, including preparation of mailing lists, mail merge, and signing of letters, as well as assisting Development and Communications Manager in drafting solicitation letters.
- Prepare quantitative reports on all fundraising campaigns in support of the Executive Director and the Fund Development Committee
Event Coordination (25%):
- Play a lead role in the project management and administration of all fundraising-related activities for Bread & Roses Community Dinner & Auction, including: administrative support for sponsorship solicitation (individual, corporate, in-kind), coordination of mailings, securing and supporting food and beverage donors, preparing event door lists, coordinating with event vendors, etc.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Bread & Roses Steering Committee (currently Bread & Roses internal team), take meeting minutes and track action items
- Support solicitation and tracking of all Bread & Roses sponsors, donors, ticket purchasers and in-kind donors.
- Project Management of Online Auction and Administrative support of Live Auction (with guidance from E.D. and D&C Manager)
- Coordinate all donor engagement activities, including annual donor appreciation party, periodic house parties, and awards celebrations with support from the Executive Director and Development and Communications Manager
- Customer service for tix and sponsors, donors, etc.
Financial Record Keeping (15%):
- Perform a portion of financial record keeping tasks, in conjunction with the Fund’s Accountant, including credit card processing, deposit documentation in accordance with the Fund’s financial policies.
- Provide administrative support to annual financial audit and reviews, specifically maintaining fundraising financial files and related records.
*Plus other duties as assigned
COMPENSATION/ JOB STATUS: Non-exempt, hourly, full time, benefits-eligible position, reports to Development and Communications Manager
RATE: $24-26 per hour commensurate with experience
LOCATION: Hybrid (remote/in-person) within Santa Barbara County – can be based out of our South County (Santa Barbara) or North County (Santa Maria) offices. Some travel will be required.
BENEFITS: two weeks paid time off, 13 paid holidays, health and dental insurance, optional retirement with 3% match, flexible hours; may include some evenings and weekends.
Desired Start Date: ASAP. Open Until Filled.
The FUND FOR SANTA BARBARA is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Alina Rey Keswani, Development and Communications Manager at: email@example.com