Become a Part of the Community Environmental Council Communications Team
For more than fifty years, Community Environmental Council (CEC) has catalyzed climate action on California’s Central Coast. From opening one the nation’s first community recycling centers and helping to pass California’s recycling law (the first in the nation), to pioneering hazardous waste collection and installing water bottle refill stations, to publishing the nation’s first carbon neutrality plans and Santa Barbara County’s Food Action Plan, CEC has always been on the leading edge of solutions to the climate crisis. That’s why in 2020 we were named California Nonprofit of the Year.
Over the last year, CEC has sharpened its focus to advance rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis. We added programs to better include communities traditionally left out or left behind on climate solutions. We grew our geographic reach, and are now actively engaging in Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo counties.
The CEC Communications Team is the internal agency that tells the stories of this work across a broad range of mediums and audiences. We seek a dynamic, self-motivated, “Swiss army knife” communications professional to join our growing team in our new downtown Santa Barbara State Street headquarters–a community-centered Environmental Hub.
The Communications Associate thinks strategically, oversees production details, and implements impactful communications that resonate with our audiences. In this position, you will produce high-quality content that engages our core constituents, and welcomes new audiences in. Main responsibilities will include developing and managing CEC’s outreach, leading the production of all print and digital material, and internal and external relationship management–with staff, vendor partners, volunteers, and more. The ideal candidate will be inspired by working for a purpose-driven organization and passionate about the environment and climate change action.
Reporting to the Director Communications & Marketing, the Communications Associate will be responsible for developing and implementing strategic communications, public relations, marketing, and event planning. The Communications Associate will provide internal and external communication support, including producing regular communications to donors, climate activists, and the general public.
As the primary content creator for CEC’s website, social media, newsletters, blog posts and general outreach, the Communications Associate is responsible for: the timely collection, curation, and preparation of CEC stories and accomplishments; supporting events like Earth Day and donor receptions; maintaining and ensuring that CEC communications and events adhere to brand guidelines; tracking and reporting analytics on communications, marketing, and other activities; and serving mission-critical work as it relates to delivering on our promise to the community.
- BA/BS preferred in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field, with experience including planning and conducting marketing and communications campaigns for diverse audiences, across a range of communications platforms
- Formal training in public relations, website, news, social media writing, and content creation
- Working knowledge of web and social media best practices, as well as current digital marketing trends
- Experience working with and interpreting website and social media analytics tools
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience with graphic design (via InDesign, Canva, or similar)
- Excellent command of written and verbal English, strong editing skills, and an ability to communicate
with a range of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to support planning and coordinating events
- Experience planning and managing complex projects within a project management system (such as
Asana) and managing deliverables according to deadlines
- Collaborative style and strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to work in teams and with a range
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Work with various stakeholders to define scope and objectives of marketing and communication projects
- Assist in generating engaging content that connects to current and new audiences, establishing CEC as a leader in climate action across all of our work areas
- Support implementation of a comprehensive social media strategic plan
- Exercise creativity to develop compelling content and design concepts while maintaining an organized
media asset library
- Create and develop original marketing collateral and promotional materials (i.e., flyers, emails, social
media posts, etc.) used to promote CEC programs
- Collaborate and consult with vendor partners on graphic design projects, co-branding opportunities,
ecommerce, website enhancements, advertising, and public relations
- Manage the cecsb.org website, personally and with outside vendor partners, including web graphic
design, writing, editing, and ensuring all content meets brand and messaging guidelines
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential media partners to include solicitation of
advertising space, printing, signage, etc.
- Provide project updates to appropriate stakeholders regarding strategy, adjustments, and progress
- Provide exceptional customer service, both in person and on social media platforms
- Engage in collaboratively creating an atmosphere within CEC that encourages and fosters inclusivity,
equity, diversity, and an open sharing of ideas, concerns, and visions; Utilize an equity filter when creating communications
This job description covers principle responsibilities only and is not intended to include all duties that may be assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demand:
- Job requires a blend of in office and remote work (currently adjusted due to COVID-19)
- Office is a business casual environment
- CEC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job Status and Compensation:
- 40 hours/week
- Non-exempt position
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits include:
o Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day, and 9 days of sick leave
o Health, dental, vision, life and LTD insurance
o Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a qualifying period) • This position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, California
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf) with an email subject line that indicates “Communications Associate” attention to: Natalie McGuire, Assistant to the Executive Director & Board Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.