We are seeking a Communications Manager to join our Philanthropic Services department, as part our Communications team! This position will report directly to our Director of Communications.
This is a full-time, exempt position serving all of Santa Barbara county.
Please review our Job Description below, before applying.
All applicants must submit a professional resume, cover letter and complete copy of our employment application, in order to be considered.
The Manager communicates the vision and work of SBF through multiple channels including website, print materials, multimedia, and social media. The position also works closely and collaboratively with fellow Philanthropic Services (PS) colleagues and the Community Engagement (CE) department to support fundraising, donor/fund holder relations, and through skillful communication, specifically in storytelling/writing, the SBF website and additional web portals, and graphic design. Additionally, the Manager supports a broad variety of communications functions that promote, enhance, and protect the Foundation’s brand and fundraising, digital marketing, social media publications, advertising, and events. This position may manage direct reports.
- Maintain the communications strategy to align with the SBF’s brand identity. Ensure consistency in the Foundation’s brand in all external communications.
- Plan and supervise production on print collateral and e-communications. Coordinate projects that address the creation and production of marketing and advertising materials according to the communications plan and calendar. This may include designing or monitoring the work of graphic design vendors and print vendors.
- Coordinate design, production, and distribution of Foundation publications, including special projects, reports, newsletters, e-newsletters, e-blasts, brochures, annual appeals and others that may be developed.
- Engage in the conceptualization, planning, writing, and editing of the Foundation’s communications, including donor/fund holder communication. This may include and isn’t limited to, written storytelling, donor/fundholder engagement, and creating professional advisor, donor, and nonprofit eNewsletters.
- Prioritize and develop content and maintain the Santa Barbara Foundation’s website and donor portal. Serve as the co-site administrator for the Foundation website including directing the vision and scope of the website, making sure content is current and relevant and managing content authors.
- Skillfully work with the PS and grantmaking team to support the development and writing of grant proposals. Take ideas from inception, moving identified needs all the way through to the potential source of funding. Project manage the process of getting all involved parties to the table to produce the final product.
- Oversee the work of the Communications Intern and provide training, coaching and adminster their performance reviews.
- Serve as a social media administrator, posting relevant content and monitoring feedback on all digital channels.
- Coordinate production and distribution of a variety of SBF special event invitations, programs, fliers, etc.
- Develop and write print, digital and video content.
- Cultivate and manage vendors, consultants and firms used for brand development, graphic design, printing, and media organizations.
- Collect and interpret digital and social media analytics.
- Provide marketing support for Foundation events and meetings.
- Maintain electronic files, photo library, and media lists.
- Keep Outlook calendar as per SBF standard.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, and the desire to continually fine tune these skills.
- Possess a highly collaborative working style.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- A strong track record successfully managing deliverables.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities in a fast-moving and changing environment.
- High level of computer proficiency including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and HTML.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work within deadlines and with acute attention to details.
- Ability to remain agile with a focus on excellent internal customer service.
- Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrated commensurate professional experience. A minimum of five years of prior work experience in public relations, media relations, or communications and marketing.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and be able to provide proof of insurance.
- Experience supervising staff is preferred.
- Familiarity with the communities of Santa Barbara County, a plus.
- General office environment, open office space or shared office space.
- Dogs (pets) intermittently on the premises, weekly. See our Pet Policy for more information.
- Telecommuting – ability to provide own modem, router and internet connection.
- Significant telephone and computer work (repetitive movement – typing).
- Some driving travel within the county and occasional travel outside of the county (via car or plane).
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting/pushing of light to heavy loads (10lbs. to more than 50 lbs.)Significant telephone and computer work (repetitive movement – typing)
At SBF, we value wellness and offer a very generous benefits package, including: up to 15 days of PTO in the first year of employment, up to 13 holidays, sick time, 401K with 4% matching in the first year and an additional 6% of profit sharing after one-year anniversary, fully paid medical and ancillary benefits and more!
Pay is mid-high $60K’s, plus, depending on demonstrated skills and experience in the interview process.
All applicants are required to submit an employment application, a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.