Reports to: Executive Director
Job Type: Non-exempt, full-time
Location: SBWCN Wildlife Care Facility – Goleta, CA
The Santa Barbara Wildlife Care Network (SBWCN) has an exciting, immediate opening for a Communications Manager. The individual in this position will play a key role in growing and strengthening SBWCN’s presence as a resource for the Santa Barbara community and beyond. The Communications Manager will manage SBWCN’s online presence, public relations, print communications, and educational outreach. This person is also critical in fundraising and event opportunities. They must wear many hats and be willing to operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, and constantly-evolving environment. A positive, can-do attitude is a must, and a deep love of wildlife is essential.
We love this quote: “You need a strong vision and desire for personal growth to rock it out in this position…it takes a lot of self-motivation to be in this role, constantly developing new ideas and keeping up with technology.”
The Santa Barbara Wildlife Care Network is a nonprofit organization that rescues, rehabilitates, and releases wildlife in need. Since 1988, thousands of birds, reptiles, and terrestrial mammals have received quality care every year thanks to the hardworking volunteers and staff at SBWCN.
The ideal candidate is:
● Organized and detail-oriented
● Excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing
● Savvy in digital communication
● Comfortable in front of large crowds and major donors
● Manage all outgoing print and digital communications including bi-weekly e-newsletters, seasonal mailed newsletters, social media posts, and press releases.
● Manage SBWCN’s web presence. Regularly update the website to reflect current fundraising campaigns, events, and educational initiatives.
● Drive strategy to increase engagement on social media.
● Identify good stories and exercise good story-telling skills.
● Give educational wildlife presentations and tours to interested groups.
● Coordinate events including the annual Open House, Benefit for Wildlife, and others.
● Represent SBWCN at outreach events throughout the year.
● Serve as key media contact. Actively reach out to local media outlets with relevant news.
● Research and collect data to optimize communication strategies and better understand
the SBWCN audience.
● Work with the Executive Director to promote a variety of fundraising campaigns such as
Capital Campaigns, Annual Appeals, and more.
● Supervise communications interns.
● Assist with development and administrative tasks as needed, as well as donor
communications & stewardship.
● Collaborate across multiple departments (development, volunteer program, and animal
care) to further the mission of the organization.
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field
● 2+ years managing communications
● 3+ years working for a nonprofit organization in a communications, development, or
● 1+ years professionally managing and updating a website using Squarespace or other
related web design platform
● Basic knowledge of local wildlife species and best practices for living in harmony with
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Experience cultivating relationships with donors
● Comfortable speaking to the public, especially in educational settings
● Event coordination experience
● Media experience (being on camera, writing press releases)
● Significant experience in:
○ Email marketing platforms (Mailchimp preferred)
○ Graphic design (Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Canva, etc.)
○ Video editing/photography
○ All major social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
● Proficiency in Google Analytics
● Executing virtual events
● Bilingual English/Spanish
● Science communications background
● Direct supervisory experience
● Development experience with a nonprofit organization
● Enthusiastic animal lover who can inspire and educate others
● Intimate knowledge of the Santa Barbara area. Existing contacts with local media
agencies are highly desired!