The Foundation for Climate Restoration (F4CR) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit with a global team working virtually from across the US and multiple countries and a typical budget of approximately $1-2M annually. We are looking for an inclusive, creative, innovative and strategic fundraiser with a deep commitment to climate restoration and a set of personal and professional values that align closely with F4CR’s core values. Ideal candidates will have experience in nonprofit leadership and a successful track record of robust fundraising. Experience in the climate change arena is a significant plus. The Chief Development Officer will be a poised, confident, and energetic representative who can help lead an organization during a time of great national and international evolution and change.
Summary & Objectives
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports directly to the CEO and will be a member of the F4CR senior management team sharing collective responsibility to deliver the organization’s strategy and vision – a future where a safe and healthy climate is restored, allowing future generations to flourish. The CDO is responsible for securing financial support that sustains F4CR and expands its long-term impact. F4CR has a growing community of advocates, volunteers, and engaged followers. The CDO is accountable for developing and implementing a plan to convert F4CR community members to donors and moving them up the giving ladder.
The successful candidate will have strong diverse philanthropic networks, demonstrated success in fundraising, and a deep commitment to building a culture of philanthropy in the organization.
They will have substantial fundraising and management experience, a talent for building relationships, and a proven track record in securing funds from major donors, other individuals, and foundations and trusts. Experience in development of an individual donor program (eg. monthly donor programs, major gifts, planned giving) including donor marketing is also an advantage.
Strategy and Planning
- Support the development of a culture of philanthropy within F4CR, especially by training and supporting Board members in their fundraising efforts
- Lead the fundraising planning process to achieve short- and long-term revenue targets across the range of revenue streams. Regularly assess the efficacy of fundraising strategies and adjust as appropriate
- Identify new potential revenue streams and produce strategies to access these funds
- Lead the individual giving development plan for the next fiscal year, which includes recruitment and development of new donors and maintaining existing supporters
- Serve as the chief liaison to the F4CR Fundraising Committee, which is comprised mostly of members of the Board of Directors
- Work with F4CR local chapters to develop their fundraising goals and activities
- Identify individual, foundation, corporate, and government funding partners by conducting research and developing a prospective funders and donors list
- Conduct the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations, federal, state, and corporate sources
- Promote and manage fundraising events
- Process all incoming donations accurately and ensure timely and accurate donation acknowledgement
- Respond to inquiries/requests from donors and prospective donors about F4CR
- Manage donor data entry and maintain data integrity
- Maintain relationships with existing donors and funders and assist in cultivating new donors and funders
- Draft and send donor communications as needed
- Report to CEO and Board of Directors on donor fundraising activities and outcomes
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting according to timelines of grantmakers
The CDO is a member of F4CR’s senior management team (SMT) and as such the post-holder will be expected to play a proactive role in the management of the organization, including:
- Organizational strategic planning
- Organizational development
- Income and expenditure budget planning and management
- Advising members of SMT on the availability of funds and the viability of obtaining funds to support campaign initiatives
- Attending finance committee meetings to report and give advice on fundraising matters
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years’ experience in a similar role preferable
- Demonstrable track record of strategic fundraising and meeting challenging revenue targets
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholder relationships
- Experience developing and implementing strategic and business plans
- Experience using a Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) platform, preferably Salesforce
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Track record of bringing innovative creative thinking and fresh ideas to an organization and/or its services
- Knowledge of the fundraising environment and of a range of techniques and disciplines to support the cost effective generation of revenue for F4CR
- Exceptionally convincing and persuasive written and oral skills with the ability to present and convey complex ideas and issues clearly and coherently
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously, take initiative, and make decisions
- Commitment to F4CR’s mission, core values, and strategic direction
We offer competitive compensation, a flexible paid time off policy, a 403b retirement savings option, along with a QSEHRA health insurance reimbursement allocation.
The Foundation for Climate Restoration is a fully remote organization, with the majority of our team members based in the Eastern, Mountain, and Pacific time zones. The CDO will be expected to regularly be available during US work hours.
The successful candidate must be a US citizen or have authorization to work in the United States.
The Foundation for Climate Restoration is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to Rick Wayman, Chief Executive Officer, at email@example.com. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.