Position Title: Camps + Outreach Manager
Reports To: Director of Learning Experiences
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Position Start Date: December 6, 2021
Pay: Beginning at $21/hr
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a culture where work and play need not be mutually exclusive. We are playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and we embrace failure. We believe diversity is critical to creativity. We are MOXI. For more information, visit moxi.org.
The Camps + Outreach Manager will be responsible for overseeing MOXI’s seasonal education programs, including day camps and school and community outreach. Specifically, this position is responsible for camp and outreach curriculum development, material coordination and purchasing, staff training, program oversight, and outreach implementation. The ideal candidate will be an experienced informal STEM curriculum developer with excellent teaching and youth engagement skills. Applicants should have demonstrated experience running and facilitating informal or formal education programs.
- Oversees Spring Break, Summer, and Thanksgiving Camps
- Develops STEAM camp curriculum for grades 1-6 that aligns with MOXI’s play-based educational philosophy.
- Hires and manages all camp staff and volunteers; Oversees training, including curriculum, behavior management, facilitation, etc.; Supports camp behavior issues as needed.
- Manages all camp correspondence, paperwork, and check-in for all camps.
- Leads 5-day Spring Break + 3-day Thanksgiving camp.
- Coordinates and oversees daily camp operations and logistics; Supports programmatic components of MOXI Summer camp curriculum as needed.
- Develops and manages school and community outreach programs.
- Builds relationships and coordinates with afterschool programs and local schools.
- Acts as lead educator for outreach programs; Coordinates staff training and support.
- Collaborates with Learning Experiences team to lead the ongoing evaluation of camp + outreach curriculum, its effectiveness, and alignment with MOXI’s learning objectives.
- Manages the Camps + Outreach budget and expenses, supporting revenue goals.
- Acts as a backup Manager on Duty (MOD) and collaborates closely with other members of management to ensure readiness for handling building evacuations, guest injuries and other potential emergency situations.
- Other duties as assigned
- Camp + Outreach Manager is responsible for directly supervising:
- Lead Educator
- Camp Counselors (x2) + Junior Counselors
- Teen Summer Camp volunteers (~12 annually)
Required Skills and Abilities
- Passion for working with kids in playful science and engineering design aligned programs.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and classroom management skills.
- CPR, First Aid, or equivalent certification is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt with emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Previous Experience Required
- 1-3+ years of informal or formal STEM curriculum writing experience.
- 1-3+ years of informal or formal education experience.
- 1-3+ years of running or overseeing youth programs or camps.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or related field or 2+ years’ experience in informal STEAM learning
- General working hours: Monday through Friday 8:45 AM – 5:15 PM, with flexibility to support outreach + education programs that support a 7-day a week operation.
- Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day a week operation with periodic early morning, weekend, and evening programs.
- Applicant must be able to bend, squat, lift, push/pull up to 40 lbs.
- Regular predictable attendance is required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment background/ criminal check is required
How to Apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
Leave a Response