Job Description: Bookkeeper
Founded in 1985, The Land Trust for Santa Barbara County is a 501(c) (3) tax exempt California non-profit Corporation that conserves natural resources, agricultural land, and open spaces for the benefit of present and future generations. We are experiencing exciting growth and a high volume of conservation activities throughout the county.
This is a part-time (24-28 hours/week), hourly, non-exempt position reporting to the Operations Manager. The Bookkeeper is responsible for a variety of bookkeeping and payroll tasks. The Operations Manager and Bookkeeper will work together and with the Administrative & Operations Coordinator to ensure clear communication about tasks and deadlines.
- Master the system of classes and chart of accounts and be able to accurately enter income and expenses to QuickBooks.
- Process donations and other income including bank deposits, credit card transactions and data entry to appropriate accounts.
- Process accounts payable invoices and payments utilizing Bill.com and in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Maintain vendor information; responsible for timely and accurate filing of annual 1099s.
- Process payroll and all payroll related liabilities using QuickBooks and/or other payroll and human resource software applications.
- Responsible for accurate preparation of required quarterly and annual payroll forms and returns
- Provide support to Operations Manager in administration of employee benefits and maintenance of employee records and database including but not limited to compensation, emergency information, salary increases and vacation calculations.
- Assist Operations Manager in monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
- Coordinate with Operations Manager to appropriately track expenditures and create invoices for all granting agencies.
- Provide support to other staff related to organizational finances and budgeting.
- Provide research for annual budget
- Work with Operations Manager and Administrative & Operations Coordinator to gather necessary information for auditors at year-end including providing supporting documentation, researching auditors’ questions and completing workbooks as requested.
- Organize/maintain bookkeeping and finance-related files.
- Other bookkeeping tasks as appropriate.
- High school diploma or GED
- 4+ years increasing experience in and responsibility for bookkeeping tasks and payroll processing
- Tech-savvy with previous experience with paperless bill paying systems and online payroll processing
- Ability to work with vendor support to resolve software related issues
- Ability to maintain privacy of confidential records, correspondence and/or files
- Proficiency and experience using QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe products
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to computer, printer, copy machine, etc.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints to meet deadlines and manage a number of different tasks concurrently
- Work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to sit at a desk, type, bend, twist
- Ability to lift or move up to 20 pounds
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate within the non-profit field and is based upon experience. Benefits include vacation, health and dental premiums (paid at 50% for part-time positions), and a supportive team culture. Successful candidates also have the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan. This position is a part-time, hourly position of approximately 24-28 hours per week. Our office is based in downtown Santa Barbara, CA. Currently we are working under a COVID-19 protocol and following our regional guidelines.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, and a cover letter, to Lisa Macker at email@example.com with the subject: Bookkeeper.
The Land Trust for Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Leave a Response