The City of Santa Barbara Parks & Recreation Department is seeking a motivated Administrative Assistant to perform a variety of highly responsible, confidential, and complex duties for the Parks Division. The Administrative Assistant duties include: provide exemplary customer service; participate in the preparation of assigned budget; maintain and monitor appropriate budgeting controls; authorize routine fund expenditures including purchase orders, work orders, and petty cash. Monitor and report on donations and grants for the Parks Division. Monitor and report on performance metrics. Serve as staff support to the Integrated Pest Management Committee including preparing and posting agendas, agenda packets and meeting minutes. Support the Parks Manager and Supervisors in routine tasks for parks maintenance and daily operations. Coordinate Division safety meetings. Participate in the tracking and monitoring of program costs, resources, schedules, staffing and staffing hours for the Division. Research and compile supportive materials for documents and reports; compose memos and letters at own initiative and from brief oral and written instructions. Reviews Council Agenda Reports (CARs), documents, memos, and letters for proper format, grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Maintain Parks Manager’s calendar, arranges appointments, meetings, and conference, schedules travel arrangements and accommodations. Maintains records and develops reports concerning new or ongoing programs, contract, and other Department activities. Communicates tactfully with the public by phone or in person; responds to, assigns and tracks complaints and requests for information on regulations, procedures, systems and precedents relating to assigned responsibilities, or directs inquiry to appropriate staff member.
- Policies and procedures of the assigned department.
- Principles and practices of budget administration.
- Accounting principles and practices.
- Methods of research, program analysis and report preparation.
- Basic principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer software and hardware.
- Provide administrative assistance in support of assigned City programs.
- Interpret and apply program policies and procedures.
- Perform responsible administrative work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Research, analyze and evaluate programs, policies and procedures.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Independently prepare correspondence and memoranda.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
One (1) year of responsible administrative experience, preferably within a local government environment is desirable.
Education and/or Training:
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited community college with major course work in business administration or a related field.
CITY APPLICATION AND RESPONSES TO THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5:30 PM ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2023.
CITY APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE AT THE FOLLOWING WEBPAGE: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/santabarbara/jobs/4282034/administrative-assistant?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs