ACCOUNTING MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Ventura Land Trust is a local, private, non-profit land trust working to protect the land, water, wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Ventura region for current and future generations. The organization strives to create a fun, inspiring, and team-oriented work environment with flexible work hours.
The Accounting Manager reports to the Deputy Director and is responsible for a full range of daily accounting operations and financial reporting. The Accounting Manager must understand the organization’s financial performance in order to provide key information to department directors and the Board of Trustees in order to make important decisions.
- Balance and maintain accounting functions in Quickbooks. Prepare, verify, allocate, and post journal entries in accordance with GAAP standards.
- Gather and monitor the organization’s financial data, including donations, grants, contract and sales revenue, cost of goods, and other expenditures.
- Prepare financial documents, such as balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements. Provide notes to the Deputy Director, Executive Director, and Treasurer to correspond with reports. Attend Finance Committee meetings and some Board meetings to present financial reports.
- Ensure the organization’s financial well-being by tracking revenue and expenses, consolidating and analyzing financial data, preparing special reports, and other best practices. Present reporting activity on a monthly basis to department directors and make recommendations as needed.
- Prepare budget templates for the organization and provide support to department directors in creating departmental budgets.
- Work with an independent accounting team to provide financial data and reports needed for annual audit and tax returns.
- Confirm financial status by monitoring revenue and expenses; coordinating the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of financial data; and preparing special reports.
- Maintain accounting controls, including honing the chart of accounts to suit current needs and ongoing documentation and revision of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare financial records for reconciliation of all bank and investment accounts monthly. Work with the Board Treasurer to complete monthly reconciliation.
- Establish internal controls and coordinate with key staff to ensure accurate input of income, accounts payable, payroll data, and cash receipt transactions; review entries for accuracy, including consistency with grant agreements, budgets, classes, donor database, and other sources. Occasionally implement data entry as needed.
- Work with the Development team to implement monthly audit/reconciliation of donor database accounting reports with QuickBooks.
- Support the operations team in providing accurate, timely data and recommendations. Develop action plans, audit operations, and propose efficiency improvements.
- Coordinate with the operations team to ensure that cross-training on key accounting functions is maintained to allow for intradepartmental delegation and support when necessary to meet all deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Minimum 5 years experience in accounting/finance
- Minimum 3 years experience in nonprofit accounting
- Experience with financial reporting requirements
- CPA a plus
- Ability to sit or stand at a desk for up to 8 hours with breaks
- Ability to walk up one flight of stairs to the VLT office
- $35-$39 per hour
- 40 hours per week
- Eligible for full-time holiday, vacation, and sick time
- Employer-sponsored medical benefits
- Employee-contributed 401(k)
At this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you’re reading. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We believe that all people are capable of great things, so we may consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
To be considered for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Accounting Manager Application” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted for this position until the role is filled.