The Carpinteria Valley Arts Center (DBA: Lynda Fairly Carpinteria Arts Center) is a nonprofit organization with the core mission of providing the arts and events to the community of Carpinteria, CA. The primary offerings to the community are classes/workshops, gallery exhibitions and events in the courtyard.
The Accounting Specialist is responsible for the organization’s financial accounting function by keeping and maintaining adequate and accurate accounts; and, by performing accounting tasks on accounts payable/receivables, payroll processing, and monthly reconciliations. The Accounting Specialist presents monthly and year-end financial reports for the organization and supports the preparation of the annual budget/ compilation/ tax returns. The successful candidate for this position has the experience and technical expertise to perform the following core responsibilities:
1. Perform the organization’s monthly general accounting process functions:
- Accounts Payable: receive invoice / receipts and prepare invoice approval for GL entry and payment (vendors / instructors / artists / Staff reimbursements)
- Accounts Receivables: enter all payments on receivables and maintain outstanding receivables schedules
- Monthly Bank and Restricted Accounts Reconciliation: perform monthly reconciliations of QuickBooks amounts to bank account and endowment statements
- Payroll Processing: run bi-weekly and pay monthly / quarterly payroll related liabilities
- Deposit processing: code donations and prepare deposit check log and bank deposits
- Donations Processing: upload from DonorPerfect Online (DPO) to QuickBooks: Link Bank deposits with safe Credit Card deposits. Enter donations data into DPO
- Generate special tracking reports: Programs and Restricted Funds
- Company credit card processing: gather receipts and code expenses for two accounts
- Review journal entries to ensure all business transactions are classified and classed properly
2. Perform monthly and annual financial reporting for the organization:
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors
- Prepare annual budgeting reports
- Prepare and gather supporting documents for fiscal year end Compilation Report and 990 Tax Return and manage the relationship with the outside accountants
- Prepare required monthly and year end journal entries
3. Provide support to the organization’s Committee activities:
- Program Committee operations: Track home school vouchers and invoice 3rd party.
- Prepare presenter fee checks and Staff / Instructor reimbursement checks
Exhibition / Gallery operations; Process ingathering fees for exhibits. upload Gallery sales and verify Host sales information.
- Prepare artist / jewelry commission checks.
- Process and deposit cash Gallery donations
- Events operations: Process and deposit cash from event refreshment sales, fundraiser tickets and auction proceeds
4. Perform key office functions
- Maintain all financial files per organization’s retention policies.
- Attend monthly finance meetings
- Communicate with Vendors via email or phone regarding billing questions
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings
- Banking liaison for deposits and maintains approved account signers
EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS:
- AA or BA in Accounting
- Experienced technical accounting and compliance proficiency
- Ability to perform the entire gamut of accounting functions
- Nonprofit accounting experience is preferred
- Proficient in QuickBooks and ADP Payroll system
- Knowledgeable of accounting best practices
- Identify and participate in process improvements
- Basic computer skills and Microsoft Suite/ Excel proficiency
- Exceptional time management, communication, and problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze data accurately and efficiently
- Employment Category: Non-Exempt up to 30 Hours per week (M-F)
- Hourly rate based upon experience level
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Benefits: Healthcare/ Paid Time Off (15 days first year)
MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED
To apply: please send a resume with a cover letter including three professional references no later than 12/31/21. Please no phone calls or drop-ins.