Regular, part-time, non-exempt
Scope of Position
The Programs Assistant will help the Programs Department achieve its mission: to interpret, present and encourage enjoyment of the historical and cultural resources of the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation (SBTHP). Programs take place onsite at El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park and the Casa de la Guerra, as well as online. Program audiences include students, families, members, diverse community groups and the general public of all ages. Position works closely with the Director of Programs and other members of the Trust staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the management and set up and breakdown of programs, including moving chairs, tables and other equipment as needed, light cleaning and other maintenance tasks. Assist with technology requirements for programs, including hardware setup for filming and other audio-visual needs.
- Assist with planning and preparation for all school and public programs, including maintaining program files and expense records. Maintain an inventory of program supplies and help pick up new supplies when needed.
- Assist with the design and implementation of school activities and programs that meet the California State Social Studies Curriculum Framework requirements for all grade levels, particularly 3rd and 4th grades. Assist with coordinating both in-class (at schools) and on-site class visits. Provide school tours and other education demonstrations.
- Assist with the recruitment, training, management and evaluation of SBTHP’s program volunteers. Assist with the maintenance of the volunteer roster.
- Assist with the development, writing and production of education-related materials and publications to enhance interpretive programs.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Opportunities may arise to work additional hours beyond those scheduled in accordance with this job description to assist with other organizational tasks including facility rentals and visitor center duties.
SBTHP is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities; all staff members must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Strong oral, written and organizational and interpersonal skills, along with good computer skills, outgoing and confident manner, ability to perform well under pressure and deal with awkward situations required. Ability to lift up to 35lbs as a regular task, bend, stoop, kneel, sit and stand for long periods of time, and ability to reach overhead required. Driver’s license and ability to drive the organization’s pickup truck on a regular basis required. Availability to work certain nights, weekends and varying shifts required. BA degree or coursework in history, museum education, or closely related field and experience in teaching both children and adults, and volunteer management preferred. Conversant in Spanish preferred. Experience with audio/video equipment and video conferencing tools like Zoom preferred.
Flexible, up to 20 hours/week
$18.00 per hour
A complete application form, cover letter and resume are required. Please email application package to Kevin McGarry and/or Danny Tsai.
Leave a Response