About Mission Scholars
A program of the Santa Barbara Education Foundation, Mission Scholars was founded in December 2018. Our mission is to use comprehensive college admissions guidance, mentorship, and career development training to help outstanding low-income students reach their full potential and become a force for change in our community. We are proud to report that 93% of our Scholars are enrolled in a four-year university, and that over 80% of their four-year cost of attendance is covered by grants and scholarships.
Our Scholars are high-achieving, hard-working, and determined to achieve their goal of graduating from a four-year university. Ninety percent qualify for SBUSD’s Free and Reduced-Price Meal Program, and 90% will be first-generation college graduates. For our Class of 2020 and 2021 Scholars: 43% attend private universities throughout the United States, 32% are enrolled at UC schools, 18% are enrolled at Cal State universities, and 7% are enrolled at SBCC.
We are currently seeking a Program Coordinator to join our team. This position reports to the Executive Director and Director of Programs, and provides the support Mission Scholars needs to build and maintain successful College Access and College Success programs.
- Serve as primary Mission Scholars’ staff liaison for Scholars;
- Help organize and conduct College Access and College Success workshops, panels, and professional development opportunities;
- Support recruitment of prospective Scholars through hosting information sessions, new student orientation, and program outreach;
- Build strong working relationships with high school counselors and other community-based organization program leaders;
- Maintain weekly individual contact with Scholars to assure program responsibilities are met;
- Maintain regular contact with families to provide updates on programming;
- Document Scholars’ compliance with program responsibilities and develop high school and college academic support plans;
- Meet periodically with Scholars, mentors, and parent/guardians to discuss Scholars’ progress in our program;
- Support program planning and implement activities to reach program goals;
- Maintain student demographics and statistics for reporting and evaluation, including organizing Scholars’ financial aid and scholarship data;
- Maintain peer mentorship program and make recommendations to match Scholars with mentors;
- Assist Program Director in accurately recording data and effectively use Scholar folders to track program activities and student outcomes;
- Analyze and use data to help determine next steps for individual Scholars and for the program; and
- Deliver regular programmatic reports on Scholar progress and concerns
- Have a Bachelor’s degree and strong proficiency in Spanish;
- Are passionate about college access and graduation for low-income students, first-generation students, and students from ethnically underrepresented groups in higher education;
- Are able to form strong relationships with a wide range of constituents, including, but not limited to: Scholars, families, staff, leadership, donors, high school counselors and administrators, local program leaders, and college admissions officers;
- Seek to work at a fast-paced, highly collaborative, compassionate, start-up organization, where entrepreneurialism, innovation, and honest feedback are appreciated;
- Self-motivated creative thinker who can work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with youth and young adults in areas such as college support, volunteer support, office administration, event planning is a plus.
- Prior work experience with students in high schools, college access, college admissions, higher education (certificate, 2-year, or 4-year programs), youth development, teaching and/or counseling, or college retention programs
- Passionate about equal access to higher education
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for events and workshops
- Willing to provide administrative support as needed
- Willing to advocate relentlessly on behalf of our Scholars
- Access to reliable transportation
- Possess impeccable written and verbal communication skills
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.