Hospice of Santa Barbara, Inc., the second oldest Hospice in the United States, is a unique and innovative organization that serves several hundred children and adults monthly who are either impacted by a life-threatening illness or grieving the loss of a loved one. All of our services are provided free of charge. We receive no support from government or insurance agencies, and are dependent on the support of the community for all we do. We have a highly committed staff and foster a positive, collaborative and creative work environment. We make a difference in the lives of hundreds of people every year and believe it is a privilege to be serving others.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
As Office Manager for Hospice of Santa Barbara, you will undeniably make a meaningful contribution as the person responsible for making clients feel welcome and staff feel comfortable in their work environment. Your primary responsibility will be to manage incoming calls and greet those visiting our office, but this is a multi-faceted administrative position and you will have varying responsibilities day to day. You will manage the office, creating efficient and effective systems and processes to ensure our operations run smoothly. And as part of the HR-Operations team, you will also have the opportunity to support employee programs where your contributions will directly impact our employee and work culture. Specifically, your essential duties and responsibilities will be as follows….
Front Desk Reception
- Answer all incoming calls to the agency and ensure calls are effectively passed on to others. Look for ways to automate our system.
- Greet all visitors by providing courteous, professional service; help clients and other visitors feel welcome and direct them appropriately.
- Manage the Loc2050@hospiceofsb.org email account and serve as the liaison with staff on reserving meeting space.
- Maintain overall workspace and reception area to ensure cleanliness and welcoming environment (library, coffee table tidy, flowers if available, group fliers stacked neatly, etc.).
- Serve as the point of contact for necessary office repairs and maintenance.
- Monitor the kitchen for general cleanliness and tidiness; maintain systems to keep cupboards organized and stocked; run dishwasher and put dishes away after cycle.
- Monitor the office for general organization and aesthetics, flow and client/employee comfort; ensure furniture is in place, rugs and pictures are straight, rooms stocked with tissues, rooms free from trash, lamps in working order, fountains filled with water and address any office issues needing resolution.
- Maintain overall organization of the mail room and ensure it is stocked with essential items.
- Monitor inventory of office supplies and place supply orders as needed and requested; maintain supply closet organization.
- Monitor orders for restroom/janitorial supplies; complete restroom check-ins to make sure things are stocked and tidy.
- Maintain a documented office opening and closing procedure or other necessary office procedures.
- Maintain regular system of fridge clean out.
- Distribute mail to employee mailboxes on a daily basis.
- Keep a supply of postage stamps and replenish as needed.
- Monitor front desk systems (fax machine, shred bin, etc.).
- Oversee the agency’s (reception) library by tracking inventory of books and related processes.
- Monitor employee community board for tidiness. Post anniversaries and birthdays and other fun content.
- Assist with managing the budget related to general office expenses; periodically perform a cost analysis to ensure HSB is getting the best prices on regularly stocked items (office supplies, letterhead, janitorial supplies, etc.).
- Maintain documentation on front desk/office procedures.
- Maintain an updated employee contact list with phone extensions and phone numbers.
- Manage info@ email inbox and re-direct messages to the appropriate recipient.
- Provide proactive ideas and thoughts on new or refined processes so as to increase efficiency, productivity and general effectiveness of our various front desk and office systems.
- Serve as liaison with designated vendor for business cards, name tags, orchestrate proofs and place orders as needed.
- Support VoIP phone system administration (assigning phone numbers, etc.)
- Make client appointment reminder phone calls.
- Send monthly Employee Assistance fliers to staff, reminding them of the EAP benefit.
- Orchestrate the HSB birthday celebration process; schedule monthly Zoom, distribute treats
- Maintain directory of job descriptions.
- Participate in new hire orientation by providing info on office systems, seating, etc.
- Assist with recruiting efforts; through managing/refreshing ads.
- Follow (and update) checklists for employee on and off-boarding or other personnel changes.
- Help process monthly employee health insurance bills.
- Update various Excel employee/HR tracking documents, including but not limited to, employee clinical licenses and registrations (post in lobby).
- Other administrative duties or projects as may be assigned by Manager.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- At least 3 years work experience, preferably in Administrative or Customer Service
- Bilingual useful (Fluent in English and Spanish)
- Demonstrated ability in telephone and customer service skills, including the ability to handle difficult calls with tact, poise and patience
- Ability to multi-task, handle interruptions and juggle competing priorities
- Tech savvy; proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Uses discernment in sharing information; has utmost respect for client and employee confidentiality
- Promotes a healthy employee culture, collaborates well with others, has a “no task is too small” perspective
- Quick learner with no hesitation in asking questions
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Good at multi-tasking and handling multiple deadline-driven priorities
- Self-starter – takes initiative, likes to problem-solve, thinks about how we can do things more efficiency, brings ideas to the table
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Commitment to the internal standard by which we uphold professionalism, further the agency’s mission and work cooperatively and collaboratively as a team
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.