ILDC Bilingual Office Assistant/Paralegal

North Santa Barbara County
Santa Maria
Full Time
SB County Immigrant Legal Defense Center

ILDC Bilingual Office Assistant/Paralegal

Full-time (40hrs/wk.), non-exempt position

Job Location: Santa Maria, California (Hybrid Position)

Salary: $25/hr. to start



The Immigrant Legal Defense Center’s (ILDC) mission is to provide equal access to justice and due process to indigent immigrants residing in the Tri County area. We provide pro bono legal representation in deportation proceedings and before other immigration service agencies. We are a California public benefit nonprofit corporation with 501(c)(3) status.

To find out more about the ILDC and our services, please visit our website at:

The ILDC seeks a Spanish Bilingual Office Assistant/Paralegal to work in our Santa Maria office full time. This position reports directly to our Santa Maria staff attorney for matters on her caseload and to ILDC’s executive director for work with Santa Barbara staff attorneys and volunteer  attorneys.


 A career at ILDC offers the opportunity to work with a team of professionals driven by our passion to defend immigrants’ rights to due process. Our benefits include: 

  • Generous PTO, plus 10 holidays, and a one-week winter break
  • Medical, vision, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and dental benefits
  • Generous Parental & Family Leave
  • 5% hourly enhancement for additional qualifying languages beyond English and Spanish


  • 95% of the time will be dedicated to assisting our Santa Maria staff attorney. The remaining 5% is dedicated to assisting our staff attorneys in the Santa Barbara office with clients residing in north Santa Barbara County.
  • Assist attorney in drafting documents and pleadings, upload documents to our case management system, manage paperwork, and organize case files;
  • Answer telephone calls, emails and text messages, meet with clients in office, collect data concerning cases, answer inquiries, and make initial determinations of eligibility and/or referral to other providers or agencies;
  • Assist attorney before and during court hearings, update attorney’s calendar, keep track of deadlines, and process incoming and outgoing mail; and
  • Other general office duties: copying, scanning, faxing, and organizing case files.


  • A bachelor’s degree in any subject or a high school diploma/equivalent.
  • Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
  • Excellent organizational and communication skills;
  • Multitask, prioritize, and demonstrate flexibility in changing circumstances;
  • Work independently and as a part of an office team;
  • General computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and willingness to learn and use new software applications; and
  • Interested in learning and performing new tasks.

Preferred Qualifications: 

  • Experience working with the relevant community or population is highly desirable but not required.
  • Experience in immigration, criminal and/or family law is desirable but not required.


  • Must demonstrate behavior that aligns with ILDC’s mission, vision, and values
  • Excellence, Compassion, Inclusion and being Proactive
  • Able to communicate cross-culturally and work in a multicultural setting with patience  and compassion with diverse individuals

The ILDC has an organizational commitment to incorporate equity and inclusion in both the work we do and the work environment we create. All staff are expected to uphold this commitment and approach their role with a desire to learn and grow in this area.


Email cover letter and resume to; include BILINGUAL OFFICE ASSISTANT/PARALEGAL in the subject line of the email. In your cover letter, indicate your interest and experience working with the immigrant community and a date of availability.

Leave a Response

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top