JOB SUMMARY: Full-time position (40 hours per week). The Executive Director has overall fund development, communications, and administrative responsibility for the operation of the organization; partners with the Board of Directors in the financial management of the organization; and supports staff with programming and community impact efforts. Ensuring Just Communities’ programmatic strategies are of the highest quality and produce deep and meaningful impact throughout Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo counties and beyond. The Executive Director will assist in facilitation, training, consulting and coaching; participant recruitment and alumni support; community organizing and advocacy; volunteer and contract staff management; research and evaluation; database management; and other duties as assigned.
Deep understanding of and experience designing and facilitating training around issues of racism, intersectionality, sexism, heterosexism, genderism, classism, language justice, etc. as well as skills in systems change and research are key to this role.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Strategic Thinking, Planning & Evaluation
● Works with the Board of Directors to develop a strategic plan for the organization at regular intervals.
● Oversees the implementation, on-going evaluation, and fine-tuning of the strategic plan.
● Regularly evaluates overall organizational effectiveness against the strategic plan.
● Works to establish, evaluate and monitor Just Communities’ overall programming strategy and impact in collaboration with the Just Communities team.
● Directs the fund development and fundraising activities of the organization.
● Actively seeks funding through diverse sources including but not limited to grants, fee for services, gifts, and bequests.
● Ensures the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date records on fundraising activities and donors.
● Analyzes fundraising efforts; recommends and implements new activities to improve results.
● Meets with donors, participates in site visits, and other efforts to support Just Communities Fund Development efforts in order to build and maintain positive relationships with all donors/funders.
Communications & Marketing
● Develops and oversees implementation of organizational communication plans, including social media, press releases, graphic standards, branding, publicity, etc.
● Supervises Communications staff, interns, volunteers, and contractors.
● Develops and maintains good working relationships with the media.
● Communicates information on programs and other activities to strengthen community awareness and recognition of Just Communities.
● Constructs effective relationships with the business, educational, social and governmental organizations within the community
● Maintains cooperative relationships with other similar local, regional, and national organizations.
Operations & HR
● Hires, develops and supervises staff and volunteers in accordance with Just Communities policies, especially in relation to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
● Serves as the primary point of contact between Just Communities & HR Consultant.
● Works to ensure all staff are operating in accordance with Just Communities HR Policies & Practices.
● Works with HR Consultant to keep Just Communities’ HR practices & policies up to date, consistent with prevailing laws and Just Communities’ vision, mission & values.
● Maintains careful oversight of organizational finances.
● Prepares the annual operating budget for the organization. Manages the budget in accordance with approved guidelines and procedures.
● Maintains records which meet internal audit standards.
● Educates the board & staff on the budget process and fiscal health of the organization.
● Leads day-to-day financial activities such as working with the Bookkeeper on deposits, transactions, notices from the bank, taxes, and auditing.
Programming & Community Impact
● Works with Program Staff to develop proposals, track progress for funders, identify accomplishments and needs for communicating to the public, etc.
● Proposes ideas for new programming opportunities, needs, etc.
● Develops, oversees and, in some cases, directs programmatic strategies, research, strategic initiatives, and evaluation efforts consistent with the mission, philosophy, policies and procedures of Just Communities.
● Co-recruits, trains, and maintains a skilled, diverse pool of volunteer/contract staff capable of facilitating Just Communities’ programs with the goal to form a facilitator network.
● Leads in curriculum design, development, and research to ensure program content is continuously updated, revised, and evaluated.
● Provides training and customized support, including developing and facilitating tailored workshops, providing resources, and coaching teams of clients in all sectors.
● Documents program policies, procedures, and practices to ensure quality control and sustainability of programs.
● Serves as the organization’s primary liaison between the staff and the Board of Directors.
● Develops and maintains a strong, effective working relationship with the Board of Directors.
● Works with Board Chair(s) to develop Board Meeting Agendas.
● Manages staff-level follow-up to Board meetings and priorities.
● Attends regular board meetings.
Public Policy & Advocacy
● Develops, oversees and, in some cases, directs public policy and advocacy efforts consistent with the mission, vision, and values of Just Communities.
● Represents Just Communities on key advocacy efforts, coalitions, & campaigns.
Other Duties as Assigned
STRONGLY PREFERRED SKILLS/ABILITIES/EXPERIENCES:
❑ Sincere dedication to the mission, vision, and values of Just Communities
❑ Experience working in and with BIPOC communities
❑ Strong ability/knowledge of facilitation, group dynamics, public speaking, and training, including the development of culturally and linguistically appropriate curriculum
❑ An in-depth understanding of issues of diversity, equity, oppression, and social justice especially issues of racism, intersectionality, sexism, heterosexism, genderism, classism, and language; familiarity of
such issues facing individuals and communities in CA’s Central Coast a plus
❑ Willingness to constantly examine and take responsibility for own biases, attitudes, and role in various systems of inequality
❑ Ability to develop and manage budgets
❑ Minimum 5 years of experience in fund development (grant writing, fundraising, donor cultivation and management, along with event coordination).
❑ Bachelor’s degree in humanities or social sciences or equivalent professional experiences in related field
❑ Experience working with individuals in supportive ways that model equitable and empowering partnerships
❑ Fully bilingual and bi-literate in Spanish and English preferred (fluency in other languages a plus)
❑ Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals and groups in Spanish and English
❑ Experience with interpretation, translation, and creating effective multilingual environments a plus
❑ Experience in community organizing, coalition-building, and social change activism
❑ Experience with public policy advocacy a plus
❑ Experience working with educators, families, and youth from a variety of grade levels and strong understanding of the K-12 education system
❑ Experience working with indigenous immigrant communities a plus
❑ Minimum of 5 years of experience in program administration, community organizing, or related field
❑ Commitment, ability, and desire to build successful working relationships with a diverse range of individuals and institutions in a variety of environments
❑ Ability to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers and contract staff
❑ Ability to research, process, and organize a variety of information and data
❑ Computer proficiency in Google Drive/Zoom/Windows/Microsoft Office environment; experience with desktop publishing software, website management, and social media a plus
❑ Ability to manage time in order to coordinate multiple projects
❑ Ability to work in a team environment and independently
❑ Director should expect to work evenings and weekends regularly, with flexible time off at other times
❑ Willingness to travel throughout the Central Coast
❑ Must have own car (or reliable transportation), valid driver’s license, and auto liability insurance
● $85,000 – $90,000; Salary commensurate with experience
● Hybrid (in-person and remote) work model
● Full medical and dental plan
● Generous vacation package
● Retirement plan
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Priority deadline is December 31st, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
Subject Line: Executive Director
Just Communities is committed to a world free of white supremacy, xenophobia, and racism. We educate and equip Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and white people with the tools necessary to take action and advocate for racial justice.
Just Communities does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, sex, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, citizenship or authorized alien status or veteran status.