Ganna Walska Lotusland
Title: Donor and Member Relations Manager
Classification: Full-Time (40 hours/week) non-exempt
Wage Range $55,000 to $65,000 annually DOE
Schedule: This is a full-time (40 hour/week) position.
The schedule is typically Tuesday through Saturday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM with occasional additional evening and weekend hours.
The Donor and Member Relations Manager is an essential member of our Development team, and fills a critical role in inviting and facilitating deeper engagement with Lotusland by providing exceptional experiences. This position reports to the Director of Development and supports the fundraising efforts of the organization, working in support and cooperation with the Executive Director, Director of Development, and Director of Administration and Events.
The primary responsibility of the Donor and Member Relations Manager manage and execute the success of the Garden Circles program. This position ensures the cultivation of prospective members and fulfills member benefits and access to the garden for Garden Lover Circles ($1,000+) members. The role will be responsible for keeping them informed and engaged, encouraging support and providing new opportunities for involvement to increase a deeper emotional and financial relationship with Lotusland.
- Successfully facilitate and arrange tours of Lotusland as a means of education, cultivation, and stewardship of internal stakeholders and Board membership including philanthropic members, donors and prospects. Connect visitor with the appropriate development lead staff for quiet, continuous cultivation.
- Lead programing and benefits aimed for Lotusland’s Garden Circles Members ($1,000+ levels) including planning receptions to promote education and social connectivity for philanthropic members.
- Prospect for new Garden Circle Members with targeted and strategic acquisition plans from the Lotusland community of general members, event attendees and VIP and Garden visitors.
- Immerse into the mission, plans, programs, projects and finances of Lotusland, and stay up-to-date on the organization’s changes to be fully aware of the organization’s status.
- Establish and maintain positive, long-term relationships with donors and members especially those $1,000 – $10,000 to keep them engaged and encourage them to:
- Renew their membership at the current or higher level,
- Participate in Lotusland’s public programs, exhibitions and special events,
- Support Lotusland through, any one of Lotusland’s donor programs.
- Meet with donors by phone, in writing and in person, Solicit gifts up to $10,000.
- Assist in cultivating members/donors of $1,000 and above who participate in other programs at Lotusland (such as attendance to education programs and special events, or financial support through membership, the annual appeal, Lotusland Celebrates fundraising gala), to encourage their deeper support.
- Steward members, donors and prospects in a special, creative, and appropriate way, such as, but not limited to: adding personal notes to renewal and thank you letters, creating small meaningful activities specifically for them, inviting them to the garden for a personal tour or to other programs or social functions, taking them to lunch, honoring their birthday or other important personal celebrations.
- Conduct member/donor research and prospect analysis.
- Track activity toward goals and maintain a record of all actions and outcomes related to Garden Lover Circles prospect cultivation and solicitations, in the donor database (Veevart), and produce monthly reports of activities.
- Liase with the Board to support and assist them in their development/fundraising efforts and portfolios.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, assist with securing sponsorships for events, such as art exhibitions and music events, Members Appreciation events, the Exceptional Plant Auction, and Lotusland Celebrates.
- Represent Lotusland in the greater community at conferences and events.
- Meet annual performance goals and metrics.
- Manage the activities and volunteer support of the new Lotusland Ambassadors giving circle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Office Functions
- Attend volunteer, staff and Board meetings, as needed or as assigned.
- Attend Lotusland events, as needed or as assigned.
- Utilize Veevart, spreadsheets, and written documents to produce standard and ad hoc reports to plan activities and chart progress and “Moves”.
- Contribute to the quarterly and online newsletter, as needed.
Essential Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- At least 2 years’ experience in a fast-paced, deadline oriented non-profit or development department with a history of increasing responsibility.
- Expertise in planning and executing prospecting, wealth screening, donor/member acquisition, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Ability to communicate professionally, effectively, and compellingly with a wide range of donors/members, including high-profile individuals
- Exceptional writing skills
- Ease and comfort with communicating effectively and compellingly, verbally and in writing, to members/donors/prospects, and experience in and comfort with making face-to-face solicitations, with a proven record of success in generating donor support.
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with colleagues and peers.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Must have access to a car for offsite events or donor visits.
- Must have exceptional database and word processing skills, proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, and high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must be able to multi-task, be highly organized, maintain poise under pressure, be a highly-motivated self-starter, and display strong time management and planning skills.
- Must maintain a professional appearance.
- Must understand and respect the confidential nature of member/donor information, and the ethics of non-profits and donor relations.
Education & Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years related experience in areas of nonprofit administration, membership, development, or similar administrative roles.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- The successful candidate will be subject to and must pass a background check.
- Highly proficient in the English language in person and by phone.
The work environment is a general office environment within the garden of LOTUSLAND:
- The outdoor garden environment is subject to weather, dust, dirt and plant allergens.
- Engagement with the general public, members, donors, and staff by phone and in-person.
- Frequent work with computers (repetitive movement – typing), and heavy telephone use.
- Frequent standing sitting extended walking, climbing stairs and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (25 lbs.)
The successful candidate must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description. Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of those that may be encountered while on the job. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Lotusland is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To APPLY: Application deadline August 24, 2022: Please send us (1) your resume, (2) three professional references and (3) a cover letter that describes how your abilities and experience make you a great match for this career opportunity. Please send to HR@lotusland.org. We look forward to hear from you.