Mental Wellness Center Development & Marketing Associate
Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team, while working to improve mental health and reduce stigma throughout our community? The Mental Wellness Center (MWC), a local nonprofit organization, is looking for a talented development professional, interested in leveraging their passion for helping others, to join our team. We are seeking a full-time Development & Marketing Associate to join our dedicated team in Santa Barbara, CA. This position supports the Development & Marketing Director and will help strengthen our existing efforts as we celebrate 75 years of serving our community.
The starting salary range for this position is $45,000 – $60,000/year, depending on experience. Benefits include: vacation, sick and holiday pay. 401k retirement plan. MWC matches up to 5% of earnings contributed. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment*, no exception.
Who you are…
● Entrepreneurial. You have lots of ideas and know how to turn them into reality. You’re a
self-starter and see problems as opportunities to try another idea. You can think on the spot
and troubleshoot any challenge that comes to our team with grit, creativity, and optimism.
● Fluent in nonprofit communications. You are comfortable with public speaking and
communicating with audiences within the nonprofit sector. You are clear, concise, and
compelling in your communication.
● Relationship builder. You understand relationships are at the core of any successful
partnership and instinctively know how to build strong business and personal
relationships. You’re a natural collaborator and team player who helps inspire others.
● Experienced. You have past experience in fundraising, development and/or nonprofit
marketing. You are a nonprofit leader with a deep understanding of how to create and
move projects and leads through a pipeline, fully owning each part of the process.
● Knowledgeable. You know the value that donors/funders/supporters bring to nonprofits
(and vice versa) and are skilled in identifying how such mutually beneficial relationships
can be deployed to reach an organization’s mission. You recognize what the ingredients of a
successful and impactful cause marketing campaign are and you are skilled in connecting
fundraising and marketing efforts to maximize an organization’s efforts and outreach.
● Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing
priorities. You work well in a remote/hybrid work setting.
● Organized and efficient. You know how to manage multiple complex projects meeting tight
deadlines. Two of your favorite words are “process” and “systems,” and you know and
practice the best ways to collaborate. You work smart, not hard. You have a strong attention
to detail and consistently deliver work that is error-free and comprehensive based on the
needs of the Development & Marketing Departments and the organization.
● Passionate. You care about mental health. You care about supporting our community. You
want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You’re passionate about our mission.
● Fun. The work we do is serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to
have a good time and you should, too.
Working with the Development & Marketing Director, the Development & Marketing
● Maintain the organization’s donor database (DonorPerfect) which includes processing donations,
preparing all thank you correspondence, reporting, and importing/exporting data to support
● Assist with annual campaigns including direct mail and virtual fundraising campaigns
● Assist with annual special events, including but not limited to the Mental Wellness Center
Luncheon, Alma Rosa Vineyards Live Walk, Mental Health Arts Festival, and events that support
fundraising and outreach efforts for our organization
● Assist with donor relations which includes donor appreciation and stewardship and assist with
board development efforts, as needed
● Maintain the Mental Wellness Center’s social media platforms (Facebook & Instagram), including
content research, creation, and scheduling, daily monitoring and platform engagement, and
promotion of audience growth
● Maintain MailChimp email accounts for both MWC and NAMI Santa Barbara County including
email list development, segmentation, and maintenance as well as creating and scheduling
regular e-Newsletters and e-Blasts to send to various online audiences
● Assist with supporting website updates, as needed
● Support Development & Marketing needs for NAMI Santa Barbara County, as needed
● Other duties as assigned (in the areas of Development & Marketing)
The Development & Marketing Associate role requires the applicant to:
● Have 3+ years of nonprofit experience, development/marketing preferred
● Possess a Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred; nonprofit development experience works too!
● Have database management software skills
● Be reliable and complete tasks by deadlines
● Be an exceptional writer that’s creative and has an attention to detail in grammar,
spelling and punctuation
● Have excellent time management skills including the ability to multitask
● Be flexible and adaptable; this position is hybrid and will require time in both our downtown
Santa Barbara office as well as working remote
● Be self-motivated and have the ability to take initiative when necessary
● Bring a good attitude to work daily and have a willingness to learn and take direction
● Have a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, MailChimp, Canva and Adobe Design and be
familiar with maintaining social media platforms including Facebook & Instagram
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR@mentalwellnesscenter.org. no direct calls please.
Your application will be incomplete without including a cover letter. In the cover letter, please answer all of the questions below:
1. Why are you interested in working at the Mental Wellness Center?
2. Why do you think you are a good fit for this employment opportunity?
3. What do you know about the nonprofit community and fundraising in Santa Barbara?
4. What does “creating a culture of philanthropy” mean to you?
To learn more about the Mental Wellness Center, visit us online at: mentalwellnesscenter.org
Mental Wellness Center is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability
status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
*MWC considers three doses (two if Janssen) to be fully vaccinated.