Position Summary: Responsible for maintaining and expanding membership at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. Creates, implements, and evaluates membership renewal and acquisition programs. Includes significant database data entry. Plans and executes membership events. Maintains a presence and promotes memberships at Museum activities and within the community.
- In partnership with the marketing team, prepares, implements, and evaluates an annual strategic plan for marketing the Museum’s membership program to increase attendance, membership, and operating income.
- Maintains and manages annual income and expense budget.
- Works with the Development Director and the Development Officer for Leadership Circles to identify and implement membership and donor cultivation opportunities.
- Works with the Event Planner to plan and implement special events and activities focused around active members and prospective members and donors at all levels.
- Coordinates membership direct mail campaigns.
- Maintains membership database, runs monthly reports, runs queries when needed, and creates mailing lists and email lists as needed.
- Provides data entry for all membership information from renewals and acquisitions.
- Works with the marketing team in the development and production of all printed membership materials. Creates and write text for all new pieces.
- Handles organizational donation requests, answers questions, provides research, fulfills website requests, and manages any specific needs of members.
- Recruits and manages membership volunteers and interns.
- Participates in various committees as needed including education, museum wide visitor activities committee, public events, etc.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Guest Services and the Sea Center Director to implement membership cultivation and retention programs, including administering visitor surveys, front office membership sales, incentive programs, and special offers.
- Minimum of two years experience in membership, fund development, or direct marketing
- Working knowledge of database programs (Raisers’ Edge experience preferred)
- Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working with the general public, trustees, members, and donors on the phone and/or in person
- Periodically supports the daily operations of the Museum if needed.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the Museum’s programs and priorities, takes responsibility to stay informed about happenings at the Museum and Sea Center, such as reading staff communications and attending meetings.
- Ensures the Museum’s presentation standards for cleanliness and maintenance are met by keeping work areas clean, picking up trash, reporting unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Maintains a clean neat appearance and adheres to the Museum’s uniform dress code.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external clients.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Requires the ability to access all areas of the Museum.
- Ability to carry up to 10 lbs.
- Significant telephone and computer work (repetitive movement – typing)
- Requires flexible schedule, including some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Ability to use: Personal computer and software (Microsoft Office and Outlook, etc.), two-way radio, standard office equipment; telephone, copier, printer, scanner, AV equipment, and various event equipment.