South Santa Barbara County has had a difficult start to the New Year, and it’s clear that new needs have arisen in our community and in our schools, or old needs have only become greater. As we have been reaching out to educators to learn where our resources and volunteers are most needed during this time, one thing is clear: the positive and encouraging presence of a volunteer has never been needed more by many of our students.
If you are looking for a way to help, here are several opportunities, along with sign up instructions. If you are looking for another way to support our community that is not listed, let us know; we want to help you connect. Whatever you do, please share these opportunities with your network to help us ensure the needs of our educators and students are being met, especially during this challenging time.
Opportunities to help impacted students:
- Arts & Crafts with Cold Spring School students: Be an uplifting and positive presence for Cold Spring School students (K-6) by leading arts and crafts during recess, Monday-Friday, from 9:50-10:30 or 11:05 a.m.-12 p.m. School staff will provide support in working with students dealing with grief. Art supplies provided. We’re hoping to fill this need every day of the week for this school that has been through so much recently—please sign up now, and also spread the word.
- Homework help and playtime with K-7 students at People’s Self-Help Housing: This after school program located in the Dahlia Court Apartment building in Carpinteria is attended mostly by children of immigrant families, and some are English language learners (Spanish speaking NOT required). One-on-one learning makes these students beam with happiness during normal circumstances, but is especially beneficial now! Commit to one afternoon per week (or sign up as a group and alternate with friends). Needed Monday-Friday, from 4-6 p.m. Sign up now. We cover screening costs.
- Guest Speaking at Rincon, Carpinteria, or Santa Barbara High School: Guest speakers can be a breath of fresh air for both students and teachers. Come with your stories, your career successes AND failures, and break up the classroom routine. Search for guest speaking needs.
- Classroom tutoring and assignment help at Canalino and Aliso Elementary, and Carpinteria Middle School: Too often, people are intimidated by the prospect of being a “tutor.” But teachers consistently tell us that it’s not about having the answers to every homework problem, but instead it’s about bringing a smile and a sense of fun to the work. Be that positive presence today, and search for a tutoring need in Carpinteria. All backgrounds and experience levels welcome. Plus, we cover the cost of any required screening.
- Homework help and after school tutoring at Cleveland Elementary School: Support students at Cleveland School who need a positive presence now more than ever. After school hours are Monday-Friday, from 3-6 p.m. Sign up now. We cover screening costs.
- Windows 10 Compatible Laptops Needed: Thanks to our donors, we were recently able to donate 50 laptops to Montecito Union School for use at their temporary SBCC location. In the coming weeks, we anticipate more affected students/families to come forward with their needs. Please help us keep our inventory stocked and ready to address both these new technology needs and the ones we’re working to fill elsewhere in the community. Donate your gently used hardware today.
If you have questions about anything listed above, or would like to talk through the options with someone instead of looking them up on your own, just let us know. We’re here to help. And though we’ve selected just a few of the biggest needs for this email, our entire community has been affected and could benefit greatly from volunteer presence. For a complete list of Partners in Education volunteer activities from Carpinteria to Santa Barbara to Santa Maria, click here. As new needs arise, this list is updated daily.
We are committed to filling each of these needs as soon as we possibly can, and we need you, and the power of word of mouth to do it. Thank you for your help getting the word out! For more information, contact Elizabeth Adams at email@example.com or 805-964-4710 ext 4413.
Chelsea Pacino Duffy
Partners in Education
Santa Barbara County Education Office
805-964-4710 ext. 4421