Fairview Gardens is a non-profit organic farm in Goleta, California. We seek a team of Volunteer Docents to lead educational tours for elementary school children. This is a great opportunity for people interested in sustainable farming, food, and education. To download the Docent Application please visit www.fairviewgardens.org. If you have questions please email email@example.com .
To volunteer, docents must attend a mandatory training on Saturday March 1st from 9am-12noon.
Please read the description below and download the application from our website. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Fairview Gardens. We look forward to seeing you on the farm!
Fairview Gardens Docent Description
Title: Fairview Gardens Docent
Location: Fairview Gardens
Supervisor: Education Director / Docent Coordinator
Commitment: Three hours per week for 9-12 months, as well as monthly in-service training.
Role: The Fairview Gardens Docents offer educational opportunities for students throughout Santa Barbara and Goleta and are a key part of the education at the Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens.
Docent will help lead educational tours at least once per week for one year. Tours last approximately 3 hours, and docents need to arrive 30 minutes before a tour begins, and stay 30 minutes after a tour ends.
Specific tour duties will vary, but may include:
· Model farming (plant, irrigate, weed, harvest, wash, bunch, and sell).
· Care for farm animals, including chickens and goats
· Lead games, songs, or stories from docent guidebook
· Other tasks as necessary
As a key player of a community farm, docents will also:
· Represent Fairview Gardens to the general public
· Stand for long periods of time
· Share Fairview Gardens values
· Get dirty
· Exhibit key traits: leadership, enthusiasm, patience, kindness.
· Be invited to participate and represent the Farm at Community Events, such as Open House, Community Potlucks, Classes, Fermentation Festival, etc.