The Santa Barbara Museum of Art Store offers a diverse collection of handmade jewelry, art books, and exceptional gifts. Our Museum Store Staff maintains an expert level of interaction with the general public and provides exemplary customer service for our visitors. While effectively demonstrating a balance of excellent customer service, product knowledge, and effective merchandising, Assistant Managers additionally represent the Museum to the public and members by giving important information such as exhibition schedules, local events, and membership benefits information to all guests.
The Museum Store Assistant Manager will give exemplary customer service and provide excellent product knowledge of the store’s collection of jewelry, art books, apparel, and all other gifts to customers, museum members, patrons, and visitors. They will also assist the Store Manager in creating dynamic displays based on important gallery exhibitions and events. The Assistant Manager oversees re-stocking merchandise daily while also maintaining clean and vibrant displays, helps develop and plan in-store events that are engaging to guests as well as profitable, and has additional responsibilities including but not limited to training staff, acting as floor leader, and coordinating daily processes. This person will display exemplary abilities in sales, overseeing customer special requests, implementing theft prevention, customer service, and cashier duties, creating displays and ongoing displaying of merchandise on the floor and in windows, merchandise replenishment, and stock room organizing. In this essential role, the Assistant Manager effectively trains and communicates to motivate and empower the staff to successfully support the above functions.
Continued interest in merchandising, creating displays, learning about jewelry sales, and a passion for art/art history and the marketing of products relating to the museum are preferred for this role. Knowledge of Art and Art History is especially helpful in creating displays and organizing books.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, college experience, and/or knowledge of art history or art experience is preferred. Requires three to five years of effective and successful supervisory experience leading a team. Three to five years of customer service required in retail, having demonstrated excellent skills and composure when interacting with the general public, accuracy, and proficiency in Point of Sale handling and operating a computer inventory system on Shopify. Excellent punctuality, reliable form of transportation, and appropriate professional personal attire. Must be able to learn and retain merchandising standards on the floor in compliance with Visual Standards. Must be able to open, handle and lift boxes and merchandise (approx. weight 25 regularly and 50lb on an occasional basis), walk up and down stairs often, and continuously stand and walk throughout the day.
- The position reports to the SBMA Museum Store Manager
- Knowledge of word/excel is important in creating store signage, willing to learn Shopify and imaging applications.
- Schedule: Must be available Tuesday – Saturday, with some additional hours needed during the holidays.
- Must be able to enter and manage effectively specific sales transactions on our POS system.
- Salary is $18.50/hour with full benefits: medical/dental/vision/life/long term disability insurance, pre-tax plans, bike station membership, paid time off, holidays, 403b matching eligibility, and more.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Successful background check and proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster are required.
- Applications accepted via mail, e-mail, or fax, or stop by in person to apply: Tuesday – Friday, 11 AM – 4 PM
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
1130 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
E-mail: email@example.com (preferred)
Fax: (805) 966-6840
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.