Job Title: Interim Communications & Marketing Director
Status: Temporary January-June 2022
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director
Supervises: Communications Associate, Interns
ABOUT COMMUNITY ENVIRONMENTAL COUNCIL
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has been a leader in creative solutions to tough environmental problems. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the tri-county region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to: 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down excess carbon emissions; and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts.
The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation. CEC seeks to activate people of every age, race, ethnicity, and economic status in community planning, political action, personal behavior change, and climate leadership.
Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
The Interim Communications and Marketing Director is responsible for the strategic development, day-to-day management, and administrative oversight of the Communications and Marketing Department while the permanent director is preparing for and taking pregnancy leave. In consultation with the Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director and other staff, the Interim Communications Director works with team members to define department objectives consistent with CEC’s mission and strategic plan, designs and delivers comprehensive content campaigns across all programs consistent with CEC’s objectives and available resources, and oversees administrative matters relating to the Communications & Marketing Department.
JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Give input on and oversee execution of the organizational communication strategy with both digital and print media
- Maintain fidelity to branding and style guides across web and physical presence.
- Manage and collaborate with team to produce blogs, e-blasts, press releases, articles, videos, print collateral, event promotion pieces and other materials for CEC’s website and communications and outreach platforms, drafting and editing pieces when needed.
- Follow established systems for collaborating with program and other staff on producing needed content and collateral for campaigns, events, and publications.
- Follow strategy and oversee growth of CEC’s social media presence and following.
- Develop and oversee PR strategies and campaigns.
- Oversee photo and video collection.
- Support implementation of language justice strategies and frameworks.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university. Graduate study and degree preferred.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in marketing and/or communications field managing a team to develop and implement content strategies.
- High attention to detail with exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively lead teams, manage staff, delegate tasks and collaborate at a fast pace to complete tasks with a deadline.
- Familiarity with and comfort in quickly learning online tools/programs.
- Positive, approachable, flexible attitude.
- Strong strategic, organizational, problem-solving, multi-tasking, and self-starting skills.
JOB STATUS AND COMPENSATION
- 40 hours/week
- Exempt position
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits package
- For this interim position CEC is open to the selected candidate working in a 100% remote capacity with the understanding that they will be requested to travel to/from our office in Santa Barbara periodically.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) with an email subject line that indicates Interim Communications & Marketing Director to:
Assistant to the Executive Director and Board Liaison