Interim CEO, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County
Temporary, Full-Time Position: December, 2021 – May, 2022
Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County seeks an interim CEO to support business continuity while Habitat’s existing CEO goes on maternity leave in early 2022. The time frame for leave will be approximately January 2022 – April 2022 (four months), and training for the interim CEO will be provided in December, and transition planning as the CEO returns will take place in May 2022.
Major projects during this timeframe include but are not limited to:
· Completion of year-end fundraising campaign, followed by the concurrent solicitation, planning and launch of a May fundraising gala.
· Pre-development activities for the construction of new affordable housing.
· Leadership and support of small staff team, board of directors, five + operating committees, and more.
· Adherence to policies and objectives outlined in operating plan and strategic plan, including specific initiatives which include outsourcing components of business, in partnership with Director of Finance & Operations.
· Ongoing monitoring, compliance and budget oversight.
· Continuity of Home Repair Program and Neighborhood Revitalization efforts.
To apply: Email cover letter (required) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are seeking a dynamic leader who is experienced in leading teams in small companies/start-up work environments, uses sound discretion, has an incredible attention to detail, understands and is experienced in private and public fund development, versed in the housing industry, and has experience working with committees and/or Board of Directors, is an experienced professional communicator, and more.
ABOUT HABITAT SANTA BARBARA
Location: Southern Santa Barbara County (Office: 710 E Cota St, Santa Barbara, CA 93103) – This is not a remote position and relocation subsidies are not available.
Organization: Established in 2000, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is a local nonprofit committed to building strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We partner with low-income individuals and families in Southern Santa Barbara County to build or improve a place to call home. Homeowners build alongside volunteers and purchase their home, paying an affordable mortgage. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County has built 22 new homes for 84 people, 50% of which are children, led efforts to rebuild and repair 165 homes across Santa Barbara’s south county, and contributed to 72 new homes constructed internationally. Habitat Santa Barbara is a equal housing agency.
Team Culture: Habitat Santa Barbara is a small but mighty team that believes strongly in the mission of building and repairing homes, works closely together in a collaborative environment, believes in building capacity through the support and cultivation of talented volunteers, and believes no task is too big or too small – from producing a fundraising gala, to rolling up your sleeves at a messy construction site!
Reporting Relationship: Executive Committee of Board of Directors.
The Interim CEO is a strong leader who works in partnership with the Board of Directors to execute goals and execute strategies that support Habitat’s mission.
● Build a spirit of teamwork – engaging staff, Board, Habitat homeowners, donors, and volunteers to achieve organizational goals.
● Work with local governments, professional organizations, economic development groups, and other non-profit organizations to coordinate Habitat’s activities.
● Support and engage Board of Directors.
● Support the Board and various committees with timely and accurate information. Assist Board Chair in agenda setting, attend all required Board and committee meetings, and provide reports of all affiliate activities to the Board.
● Uphold organizational values; cultivate an environment of ethics, respect, and integrity.
● Working in coordination with the Director, Philanthropy & External Affairs, implement a development strategy for fundraising, including grants, donations, and events.
● Promote the mission of Habitat by encouraging participation by donors, both individual and institutional.
● Oversee branding and marketing strategies. Utilize traditional and digital marketing and communications to support Habitat’s message and brand.
● With the Board and finance committee, implement financial and operational priorities.
● Ensure that programs and services continue to be maintained at the highest level.
● Maintain a positive working environment that motivates and encourages staff to fully support the mission of the organization.
● Oversee financial reporting and accounting, human resources, technology support, and management of the affiliate’s office space and ReStore facilities.
● Exercise discretion with highly sensitive and confidential information.
● Work with the site selection committee to identify and investigate potential locations for new projects, and present new projects to the Board for approval. Work with the land committee and construction staff to prepare and manage the project through all necessary design and entitlement activities.
● Oversee the construction management effort on new projects, ensuring that projects are completed on time and within budget, utilizing volunteer labor and donated materials as much as possible.
● Facilitate development of minor repair projects, including A Brush with Kindness and
Critical Home Repair programs.
● Ensure a fair and accurate partner family selection process in accordance with all applicable Fair Housing Law and support the Homeowner Readiness Curriculum.
● Supervise management of the ReStore to maximize its contribution to HFHSSBC operational budget.
● Oversee Habitat’s continuing Disaster Relief efforts in the local wildfire / debris flow areas.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
● Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
● Significant related experience may substitute for a higher degree.
● At least ten years of experience in a leadership /management role, ideally in a non-profit organization.
● Experience working with a Board of Directors.
● Five or more years of experience in financial management. A record of successfully developing, executing, and reporting operating budgets in an organization with multiple funding sources.
● Experience in Real Estate development, i.e. Construction, Financing, multi-unit or commercial acquisition.
● Ability to motivate a team (both volunteer and staff) to achieve high expectations.
● Demonstrated human resources management knowledge and skills.
● An understanding of real estate development and construction operations is a plus.
● Outstanding presentation and communication skills, with the ability to create and sustain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
● Ability to serve as an effective and inspiring spokesperson, advocate, relationship builder and fundraiser.
● Ability to make presentations and to comfortably interact with diverse audiences including donors, Board members, nonprofit and community groups.
● Experience leading multi-platform marketing and social media campaigns that foster positive stakeholder, donor, client and community relationships.
· Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong collaborative skills: ability to work independently a leader and as part of a team.
· Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office and donor databases; ability to learn new technology quickly.
· Flexibility / able to shift priorities quickly. Deadline driven / highly accountable.
· Outstanding presentation and communication abilities.
· Ability to comfortably interact with diverse audiences.
· Experience managing digital, print and media campaigns.
· Experience with professional fundraising event management and sponsorships.
· Passion for affordable housing and the mission and principles of Habitat for Humanity.
· High ethical standards, good judgment, diplomacy and tact.
· Sound judgement in assessing risks related to COVID-19 health and safety measures.
· Required: Valid driver’s license; reliable form of transportation; criminal background check.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time temporary position.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 10% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Ability to lift 25 lbs.
To be considered for this position, email a resume and cover letter (required) to email@example.com.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Other duties, as assigned or deemed necessary by management, may be required. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description does not constitute a contract for employment, nor does it in any way alter the at-will employment relationship. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer.