Why join our countywide agency?
*Because each day we are making a difference in our community, and because we have a positive, employee- and client-centered work culture.
*We pay competitive rates and offer a strong benefits package that includes generous vacation, sick leave and holiday pay, employer-paid medical insurance, a free subscription to the meditation/sleep app Calm, and much more!
*We offer continuous employee education and development and paid clinical supervision.
*We work with our staff to offer flexibility whenever possible.
We look forward to you joining our team at FSA of Santa Barbara County!
The Family Support Services (FSS) Family Advocate will work collaboratively with parents, school personnel, and public and private agencies to guide families in overcoming obstacles to self-sufficiency. Guided by the Protective Factors Framework, the Family Advocate will provide comprehensive services to families in support of a child’s lifelong learning, health, and behavior. Through advocacy, case management, parent education, and linkage to community resources, the Family Advocate will identify risks, promote strengths, and equip parents with the skills and knowledge needed to overcome sources of stress, strengthen resiliency, and provide nurturing environments. Services are provided in the home, school, and community setting.
FSA strives to be a trauma-informed and resilience-oriented organization. Because working with those impacted by trauma can affect staff in various ways, FSA actively identifies and employs methods to support staff to embody a healthy and sustainable balance of care for both themselves and others.
Sample Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Utilize assessment skills and screening tools to triage families and determine appropriate services (case management, information and referral, parent education).
• Exhibit a working knowledge of community resources and provide appropriate referral to support access to social, educational, and health services.
• Serve as a liaison between the family, school, and community to support academic success, social emotional well-being, and family wellness.
• Participate in school and program events during traditional and non-traditional business hours to conduct outreach, build relationships, and enhance service access.
• Promote parental resilience and social connections through engagement opportunities (workshops, Parent Café, Dad’s club, etc.)
• Provide education, resources, and developmental screening to increase parent’s knowledge of child development.
• Promote healthy family relationships by attending and participating in parenting and/or healthy relationship classes as appropriate to reinforce skill development.
• Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Education, or related field is preferred. Candidates without a BA will also be considered; three years of experience is preferred.
• Must speak, read, write, and understand English and Spanish fluently.
• A minimum of one year work experience in the school or community providing services to at-risk children and/or families.
• Ability to have a warm and empathetic interpersonal style to establish trusting relationships with children, parents and guardians, health professionals, and community organizations.
• Must have the ability and desire to provide services that are relevant to the culture of the family.
• Ability to be flexible and adapt service delivery to the needs of the family is a must.
• Possess a valid California Drivers License, proof of vehicle insurance, and reliable transportation.
Classification, Hours and Pay Rate:
• This position is part-time (20 hours/week), non-exempt, with limited benefits, including: flexible spending accounts and 403(b) retirement plan. Generous vacation, holiday and sick leave also offered.
• Pay is dependent on education and experience. Starting pay for applicants without a BA is $20.00/hour. For applicants with a BA, starting pay is $22.00/hour.
Family Service Agency (FSA) has long been regarded as one of Santa Barbara County’s most reliable and effective nonprofit human service organizations. Our mission is to strengthen and advocate for families and individuals of all ages and diversities, helping to create and preserve a healthy community. We are committed to providing services where they are needed most: in the community. Eighty percent of our services are delivered on school campuses, at community centers and in clients’ homes. Our programs, which serve more than 25,000 people annually, combine clinical expertise, bilingual and bicultural staff, and close collaboration with other agencies. At FSA, all services are provided free or on a sliding fee/donation scale and no one is denied assistance because of an inability to pay.
To apply for this position, it is preferred that you submit both a cover letter and resume here.
Visit our portal for other open positions.
Leave a Response