Status: Non-Exempt Full time (40 hours/week)
Posted: August 20, 2021
Applications due: Until position is filled
About the Community Environmental Council (CEC):
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community engagement. Since 1970, CEC has incubated and innovated real life environmental solutions that directly affect the California Central Coast. The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation.
With its current focus in the California Central Coast region to promote rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival, advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar, #driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary objectives are to 1) Achieve Carbon Zero Communities; 2) Promote nature-based solutions to draw down legacy emissions and 3) Protect against unavoidable climate impacts. Visit www.CECSB.org and www.facebook.com/cecsb to learn more about our work and history.
About the position:
CEC is seeking an experienced professional to join our Energy, Transportation and Climate teams as we scale up our work building regional capacity for climate action. This position is responsible for advancing energy and transportation solutions that support a rapid and equitable transition to Zero Carbon Communities.
The Energy & Transportation Associate will work with the team and external stakeholders such as local governments, businesses, non-profits and the community-at-large to advance projects that move our region toward 100% renewable electricity, decarbonized buildings, and electrified transportation. The position will develop, plan, and implement projects focused on zero-emission energy and transportation. The position will also focus on partnership coordination and network development to advance climate action. The position will additionally support CEC’s advocacy for bold climate policies, such as local government carbon neutrality targets and transportation electrification goals.
The Energy & Transportation Associate primarily collaborates with a team of four as we expand CEC’s leadership at the regional scale. This position also helps in building strong networks for climate action across Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo Counties, with a focus on environmental and climate justice. CEC seeks to activate people of every age, race, ethnicity, and economic status in community planning, political action, personal behavior change, and climate leadership. We place a strong emphasis on serving and supporting our region’s frontline communities to make equity real.
Job functions and responsibilities:
Contribute to ongoing projects to increase solar/renewable electricity usage, decarbonize buildings, electrify transportation, and support alternatives to driving alone.
Develop, plan, and implement new projects with CEC’s teams and external partners.
Assist with the development of local climate action policies and advocacy campaigns that are aligned with CEC’s principles of equity and climate justice.
Track, evaluate, and report on project outcomes.
Seek new grant opportunities in collaboration with team members and provide grant writing support as needed.
Coordinate and develop CEC’s partnerships and networks, such as the Electric Drive 805 collaborative.
Build positive working relationships with stakeholders.
Research and track policies and legislation affecting CEC’s work on climate, energy, and transportation.
Support advocacy for climate leadership and policy solutions before local and regional decisionmakers.
Support CEC’s commitment to increasing language access
across our initiatives.
– Two or more years of professional work experience, preferably in energy, environment, government planning or policy, or a related field.
– Customer service experience in solar, electric vehicles, building electrification, and/or charging infrastructure is preferred.
– Bachelor’s degree in relevant area; Master’s degree is preferred.
– Outgoing self-starter with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with and motivate internal teams and external stakeholders.
– Strong written and oral communication skills, including interpersonal networking skills, public speaking, and relationship building.
– Residence or network in Ventura and/or Santa Barbara Counties is preferred but not required. Candidates based in Ventura County or North Santa Barbara County are strongly encouraged to apply.
– Aptitude with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn and use file sharing systems such as Google Drive and OneDrive.
– Demonstrated commitment to CEC’s mission and programs.
– Bilingual candidates who are fluent in English and Spanish will be given special consideration.
Job status and compensation:
– 40 hours/week.
– Salary commensurate with experience. CEC offers competitive salaries at or above the median level based on a survey of similar non-profits in Southern California.
– Non-exempt position.
- Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Increasing vacation benefits with seniority.
- Health and dental insurance.
- Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary (after a one-year qualifying period).
- Some flexible schedule; includes occasional evening and weekend work hours.
- Part of CEC’s Energy, Transportation and Climate teams.
- Reports to the Director of Energy and Climate Programs and coordinates closely with four team members.
- Due to COVID-19, our team is working remotely on PDT hours until restrictions are lifted. Beyond that, this full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA. For candidates based in Ventura County or North Santa Barbara County, this position has a possibility of partial remote work.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) to:
Energy and Climate Program Associate
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.