Director, Philanthropy & External Affairs (DPEA)
ABOUT HABITAT SANTA BARBARA
Location: Southern Santa Barbara County
Organization: Established in 2000, Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is a local nonprofit committed to building strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We partner with low-income individuals and families in Southern Santa Barbara County to build or improve a place to call home. Homeowners build alongside volunteers and purchase their home, paying an affordable mortgage. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County has built 22 new homes for 84 people, 50% of which are children, led efforts to rebuild and repair 165 homes across Santa Barbara’s south county, and contributed to 50 new homes constructed internationally. Habitat Santa Barbara is a equal housing agency.
Team Culture: Habitat Santa Barbara is a small but mighty team, that believes strongly in the mission of building and repairing homes, works closely together in a collaborative environment, believes in building capacity through the support and cultivation of talented volunteers, and believes no task is too big or too small – from producing a fundraising gala, to rolling up your sleeves at a messy construction site!
Reporting Relationship: Director, Philanthropy & External Affairs reports to the CEO.
Job Summary: The Director, Philanthropy & External Affairs (DPEA) leads the strategy and implementation of fundraising and communication activities, including advocacy– to provide sustainable funding for the organization to build and repair homes, advocate for safe and affordable housing, and provide housing stability to local Santa Barbara communities. Initial fundraising goal includes $1.4M from individuals, foundations, corporations, faith communities, and government partners, and more. The organization is embarking on exciting capital fundraising campaign, for which there will be additional team resources provided that will be overseen by the DPEA at a future time. Updates and developments annual fundraising/communication plans, and works with CEO on the execution of the newly developed strategic plan. Plans, implements, and manages all fundraising campaigns including annual giving and capital campaigns, special projects, social media and other related solicitations. Position requires a flexible schedule, including night/ weekend availability as needed.
Who we’re looking for: The successful candidate must think and act strategically, and importantly, must have experience with major gift cultivation and stewardship of at least $25K. The right candidate is a strong communicator and collaborator, is mission focused, and will possess integrity, professional credibility as a successful fundraiser, have outstanding written / verbal communication skills, and a thorough knowledge of best practices in strategic fund development. This person must have a proven track record of major gift cultivation and stewardship, of at least $25K. The ideal candidate is a person who thrives in a dynamic environment and wants to combine professional achievement with a passion for enriching the lives of others.
Supervisory / Team Leadership Responsibilities: The DPEA leads a small development team and several specialty sub-contractors. The position is also responsible for the engagement of leadership volunteers, including but not limited to the Board of Directors, directly responsible for the recruitment and support of the fundraising & events committee, communications committee, as well as works on special projects with the CEO including advisory council.
Position Priorities (Approximate):
- Major Gift Cultivation & Individual & Planned Giving – 30%
- Resource Development Strategy – 10%
- Events – 20%
- Team Supervision – 15%
- Corporate / Foundation / Government Funding – 15%
- Advocacy & Communications / External Affairs (includes marketing housing opp’s)– 10%
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 7-10 years of professional fundraising experience
- At least 3 years of experiencing leading/supervising a staff
- History of major gift experience with gifts secured of at least $25K.
- Demonstrated success with implementing comprehensive strategic fundraising and communication
- Experience with budget development and performance
- Experience with grant writing, including government
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong collaborative skills: ability to work independently a leader and as part of a
- Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office and donor databases; ability to learn new technology
- Flexibility / able to shift priorities quickly. Deadline driven / highly
- Outstanding presentation and communication
- Ability to comfortably interact with diverse
- Experience managing digital, print and media
- Experience with professional fundraising event management and
- Passion for affordable housing and the mission and principles of Habitat for
- High ethical standards, good judgment, diplomacy and
Starting at $90,000
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position with a benefits package that includes health care, vision and dental coverage as well as a 401K retirement match, once vested.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 10% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Ability to transport 25 lbs.
To be considered for this position, email a resume and cover letter (required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Other duties, as assigned or deemed necessary by management, may be required. Management reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time. The job description does not constitute a contract for employment, nor does it in any way alter the at-will employment relationship. Habitat for Humanity of Southern Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer and fair housing agency.