Position: Director of Kids’ Programs
Type: Permanent, Full-time
Location: In Person / Some remote possible
Salary: $21 / hour
Do you love working with kids? Are you passionate about food?
The Director of Kids’ Programs will oversee Apples to Zucchini Cooking School’s classes, camps and parties for children and teens. In this position you will support Chef Educators and volunteers along with community partners to implement useful hands-on cooking classes, teaching children and teens how to prepare nutritious, delicious, and affordable meals made from seasonal and local ingredients. The goal of our programs is to introduce young people to foods they may not be familiar with, teach them how to cook a new recipe, and have them try healthy food that may become a new part of their diet.
The tasks of this job include, but are not limited, the following:
- Communicate with schools to select dates, times and campus locations for weekly classes.
- Manage registration for classes.
- Schedule Chef Educators and Volunteers for classes; find subs when regulars are not available.
- Communicate with parents about details of classes, changes in schedule, behavior issues, etc.
- Schedule Chef Educators and Volunteers to operate two full-day camps each week at our Garden Street campus (for K-3rd and 4th-6th grades), and 3 afternoon cooking classes per week at UCSB (for high school students).
- Schedule field trip and guest speakers.
- Train volunteers in camp activities – games, crafts, etc.
- Communicate with parents about summer camp activities, policies, procedures and incidents.
- Respond and intervene to incidents such as medical emergencies, non-medical emergencies, disruptive behavior and Covid-related schedule changes.
- Answer parent inquiries about birthday parties.
- Schedule parties; assign Chef Educators and Volunteers.
- Set up registration for host and guest.
- Prior experience working in a relevant field
- Ability to work independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to connect with Chef Educators, campers, parents and volunteers
- Exceptional time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Sharp attention to detail with an ability to multitask
- Able to deliver positive food messages
- Proficient with computer technology and Microsoft Office applications
- Vaccinated against Covid