Job Title: Database & Analytics Manager
Reports to: Director of Development
Classification: Full-time, Non-exempt
Last updated: October 2022
About the Company
ShelterBox is a leading global nonprofit organization whose mission is to deliver humanitarian aid in the form of shelter and lifesaving supplies when a natural disaster or political conflict devastates a region.
Our vision is of a world in which all people displaced by disasters and humanitarian crises are rapidly provided with emergency shelter. Our work makes ShelterBox USA a unique, exciting, and meaningful place to work.
We are a fast-paced, high-performance team that is ambitious in our pursuits, passionate about our mission, and creative in our execution. We encourage professional development by exposing team members to all aspects of our organization. We’re looking for qualified professionals who are innovative, align with our values, and who are passionate about helping people in need and inspiring others.
About the Role
The Database and Analytics Manager performs the critical role of maintaining the Raiser’s Edge NXT database and related applications. This manager takes on the design, build, and delivery of complex, qualitative queries, reports, and lists to facilitate the work of the development team. This includes database clean-up, daily imports, reporting metrics, analyzing trends, custom fundraising reports, and record maintenance. The role includes monitoring the data integrity and determining how to translate data into usable, actionable information for the formation and execution of fundraising strategies and metrics.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Oversee and manage all development records and reporting within the organization’s Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge/NXT database and other Blackbaud fundraising systems as follows:
- Assist the Fundraising Operations Manager and Director of Development by overseeing the daily functions of the Raiser’s Edge NXT CRM and related applications.
- Design, build and deliver complex, qualitative queries, reports, and lists to facilitate the work of the development team. This includes daily imports, reporting metrics, analyzing trends, and custom fundraising reports.
- Oversee and ensure the accurate processing of all gifts (online, offline, & recurring) from multiple revenue channels.
- Timely process donor acknowledgments and receipts.
- Oversee the implementation of data entry standards and best practices.
- Conduct regular audit database maintenance efforts, including duplicate management, research and updates of specific datasets, and financial audits.
- Responsible for database cleanup, the overall accuracy, integrity, and reliability of donor data, donor data management systems, and reporting processes.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for Raiser’s Edge donor database and other Blackbaud solutions.
- Analyze business procedures/problems to provide solutions for process improvement.
- Assist with data needs, ad-hoc reports or queries, and financial reports as requested by all departments.
- Design and update fundraising dashboards and provide donor updates to the development team.
- Interpret all reports to the development team, communicating insights and trends.
- Maintain KPI dashboards for fundraising, donor retention, giving trends, etc.
- Assist with the implementation of Raiser’s Edge NXT CRM upgrades.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all database issues and questions, and determine solutions and strategies, to case resolution.
- Provide database training on policies and procedures to development staff across the enterprise and oversees security features, accounts, roles, and privileges for users.
- Assist in developing written policies, procedures, and training materials for processing and data management.
- Stay abreast of new and developing tools, technology, and processes related to disaster response and donors, and make recommendations regarding updates/upgrades or new tools needed.
- Work closely with gift processors and provide backup support as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all gifts and other office assignments.
- Follows all policies and procedures of the following: ShelterBox USA Guidelines, Gift acceptance guidelines, and the AFP Donor Bill of Rights.
- Generate segmented donor lists for direct mail and email solicitations and communications.
- Manage the donor and other email accounts as applicable and answers donor inquiries and requests.
- Protects highly confidential and sensitive information at all levels.
- Manage the gift entry team with professionalism and mentoring in mind.
- Assist with donor and prospect research to support fundraisers, special events, grant proposals, and more, as needed.
- Work with external computer software vendors to ensure compliance with all software and credit card security updates, risks, and concerns as defined by the government, insurance company, and company policies.
- Provide office support to answer phones and field routine/non-routine questions as needed.
- Other projects assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of word processing, databases, spreadsheets, e-mail, and internet software.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud products and specifically, Raiser’s Edge software, is required.
- Proficiency in the use of computers, fax, and copier.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, both on-site and remotely.
- Demonstrate problem-solving, analysis, information-gathering, and monitoring skills.
- Ability to work with highly confidential and sensitive information at all levels.
- Understand ethical behavior and non-profit business practices and ensure personal behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Self-motivated; comfort and ability to work in an unsupervised environment while meeting established milestones, metrics, and agreed-upon goals.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress toward goals, and track details, data, activities, and information.
- Professional, friendly, and courteous demeanor.
- 3 years of experience working in database administration in a non-profit environment.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Blackbaud Professional Certification is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, competing priorities, and challenging deadlines.
- Resourceful, critical thinker who uses sound judgment and can problem-solve.
- Extensive experience importing and exporting data.
- Extensive knowledge of donor database management and financial reporting.
- Experience in supporting high-level executives and development officers.
- Demonstrated skill in developing queries, reports, and dashboards.
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to data integrity and quality of work.
- Flexible and willing to teach others.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional team player with a proactive, “can-do” attitude, and the ability to work flexibly and problem-solve within a team and individually.
- Medical, vision, and dental are 100% paid for by ShelterBox USA
- 401(k) match program
- 15 days of PTO
- 15 days of observed holidays
- Cell phone stipend
- Gift Processing & Data Entry Associate
- Processing Intern
This is a full-time 40-hour/week exempt (salaried) position. Overtime may be required. Additionally, due to the nature of a disaster relief organization, employees may be asked to work extended hours or on holidays without much notice.
Travel is required for this position.
This job operates primarily in a hybrid environment but will involve visiting our office located at 101 Innovation Pl Santa Barbara, CA 93108. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must
be able to work hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 20 hours per week including
nights and weekends, especially during peak activity periods as approved by the manager.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or
stand for up to 4 hours at a time; use hands to finger, handle, reach or feel and talk or
hear. The employee is sometimes required to bend, lift and occasionally carry items up
to 20 pounds. This job often requires climbing staircases as elevators are not present at
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- Must be able to hear and speak effectively in English.
ShelterBox USA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ShelterBox USA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has remote employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.